Humble Book Bundle (Music Business/Creative)

Brian Lawler

As with most Humble Book Bundles, some books are dated and some are not. But for the price of one book, there is generally some value to be found in any bundle, even if you leave few books on the table.

The website offers links to previews of the books, so you can usually check out the table of contents, the intro, and maybe part of a chapter...

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

OK, this book bundle, unlike some of the ones in the past seems to have a lot of filler. I downloaded and looked at the 5-page previews of each one.

IMO, most of these books appear to be academic industry studies, or essays on the topics, not actual applied how-to-do books.

The ones that I noted to be of potential interest are:

• Recording Tips For Engineers
  • Sonic Art

You decide if it's worth $18...

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, abacab said:

OK, this book bundle, unlike some of the ones in the past seems to have a lot of filler. I downloaded and looked at the 5-page previews of each one.

IMO, most of these books appear to be academic industry studies, or essays on the topics, not actual applied how-to-do books.

The ones that I noted to be of potential interest are:

• Recording Tips For Engineers
  • Sonic Art

You decide if it's worth $18...

One nice wrinkle, if Sonic Art indeed floats someone's boat, is that it's available in the first tier for the grand total of $1. Not bad, if there's some meat there.

I'm currently on the fence, after looking the book up on Amazon for more info. The top review (4-star, generally positive) gives a nice overview, but describes it as "not very hands-on". I'm mulling whether it's up my alley, but for the price, it (and four other books, which may all fully be filler) to tough to beat. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Does anyone know if any of these books are worth reading, or are they already too dated?

good question. 🙂

I get access to this publisher from my work and downloaded quite a few of them. i have yet to find anything of value in them. quite frankly, i learn 1000% more from reading the free SOS articles. from the books and chapters i looked at in the humble deal.. in many cases is very basic 101 stuff .. and in others.. the digital musician.. meh.. you can gain more insights in reading some open access papers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

good question. 🙂

I get access to this publisher from my work and downloaded quite a few of them. i have yet to find anything of value in them. quite frankly, i learn 1000% more from reading the free SOS articles. from the books and chapters i looked at in the humble deal.. in many cases is very basic 101 stuff .. and in others.. the digital musician.. meh.. you can gain more insights in reading some open access papers.

That's what I suspected.  Thanks for saving me the money. 👍