Waves Introduce Bass Fingers!

cclarry

3 hours ago, Piotr said:

Almost about year ago on 21.06 OTS started group buy for 2018 :)     Maybe we are close to group buy for 2019? ;)

Based on previous OTS group buys, what to expect from the eventual next one? Price range? How many libraries possibly? Rules etc? Thx

Great, thx! I had a quick look. One thing I didn't quite get it, only the libraries mentioned there were available? What if I'm looking for something particular that's not "featured" (I mean on the kvr forum thread)?

EDIT:  nvm, found it!  "The sale applies to all our sample libraries, including bundles and bundle upgrades."

Edited by chris.r

On 6/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, Tiger The Frog said:

It says HERE under Tech specs: 

8 GB free disk space on the system drive 
Sample libraries also require: SD 2.3 GB | HD 15.6 GB

Does it really take up 8GB on the system drive?  

I have an Ample bass that only takes up 5GB for the library, and it sounds very authentic.

It's hard to imagine what you are gaining with 15GB.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I have an Ample bass that only takes up 5GB for the library, and it sounds very authentic.

24 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Seems fishy to me.

I was wondering that myself? I also have Shreddage Abyss which is 4.28GB and it can do everything Bass Fingers can, plus Abyss sounds better with fast playing as it has palm muting and staccato mode. Though the amp and effects in the Waves products are probably a little better.

The 15GB left me pondering if perhaps not all of the library content is available to us in playback at the moment. Maybe there is an update looming that will unlock features, additional tones and bass models not currently available in this version?

Otherwise it is a lot of drive space in comparison to competitors.

13 hours ago, abacab said:

I am afraid there is no such linear relationship. Not always much more space used for samples mean better quality about overall  instrument sound.

For instance they could have sampled at much higher sample rates but done using worse instrument, less compressed or less detailed about articulation, etc...

Also sometimes demos could be overcooked (like presets) and instrument can sound decently by itself.

Well, anyway as always there is possibility to test any Waves plugin to check by oneself.

I am struggling with myself if test it or not.  But little afraid. GAS syndrome often tell me buy something actually I don't need, have better alternative etc.  Just because there is a great deal...

But well, the best deal one can ever do is to save money and not to buy anything what will not be used anyway... 😕

Hey everyone, I'm Eyal Amir, and I'm the lead developer for the Bass Fingers plugin.

I actually recently left Waves (moved to another plugin company), but I was still excited to see 'my' plugin come out and read the discussion here. :)

TBH, I can't add much to the discussion on which sample library/VST is better, as obviously I was very involved with this one plugin.
So on that part I'm looking forward to your observations to see if the sample library quality matches it's size in GB, etc...

After all, the technicals don't matter as much: if the plugin sounds good to you and helps your creative 'flow', great! 

I do wanna share one tutorial I created with Or Lubianiker (the bass player who created the sample library).
We did it to capture a few features we think are cool about the instrument (mainly to do with 'positional' control on the virtual fretboard).

Looking forward to reading your (honest!) reviews of the plugin once you get to demoing it yourself...

Eyal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Wow, seems to be lots of Wave hate here. I don't really care one way or the other but, love 'em or hate 'em, no one has gotten fired for using Waves plugins.

Hmm, why you feel it is hate? 

I like zylion of their plugins. And also have a huge amount of them. But does it means I should love everything they made? ;)

Some of us were just not impressed by bass sound in demo.

I believe we have just heard better sounds (including real bass ;) I didn't notice any hate to Waves itself here :)

I absolutely love Waves. Thanks to them 29$ revolution started. And not only all their plugins are since then very affordable but also from their competitors  :)

• Like 1

I don't hate Waves - I love their plugins, and I actually thought the bass sound was ok.

But after quoting me > $1000 for WUP, I'm not buying another Waves plugin while some of my plugins still have updates active.

I'm not convinced that updates are that great in any case.  I mean what did the upgrade to v10 give me apart from losing 32 bit compatibility?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyal Amir said:

I do wanna share one tutorial I created with Or Lubianiker (the bass player who created the sample library).

We did it to capture a few features we think are cool about the instrument (mainly to do with 'positional' control on the virtual fretboard).

That's a great video, and is a better demo  than the official ones, as it shows several ways to apply the features in order to get authentic bass voices from the keys.

Am really tempted to check it out now!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's a great video, and is a better demo  than the official ones, as it shows several ways to apply the features in order to get authentic bass voices from the keys.

Oh, yeah... And it pushed me to schedule download of the lib :)

On 6/18/2019 at 6:21 PM, Tiger The Frog said:

It says HERE under Tech specs: 

8 GB free disk space on the system drive 
Sample libraries also require: SD 2.3 GB | HD 15.6 GB

Does it really take up 8GB on the system drive?  

No- I thought this was the case, space is tight on my system drive and I did not notice a big drop. I have just examined the drive using TreeSize Free (A very useful utility for hunting down space invaders) and there is no where 8GB could have been deposited on my system drive.

3 hours ago, Eyal Amir said:

To make a convincing results you're pushed to think the same way a bass player is thinking, interesting. I enjoyed the other slap bass lesson very much :). Just these 15GB if my HD is only 128, eh...

1 minute ago, chris.r said:

To make a convincing results you're pushed to think the same way a bass player is thinking, interesting. I enjoyed the other slap bass lesson very much :). Just these 15GB if my HD is only 128, eh...

I definitely see what you mean there!

Large sample libraries are indeed a problem on the go - I actually bought an external SSD when I was playing live with BFD3...
There is the SD version which is about 2.5 GB. The sound is obviously a bit less high-res, but you can always switch to HD later without losing your project settings.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1