The Little Things That Make Us Temporarily Happy

Tim Smith

I do try not to eat too much meat as I used to but I've not found any convincing fake burgers or fake chicken or fake cheese. I can live with fake ground beef in a chili, though.

I really like Trader Joe's meatless sausage. I don't consider them a substitute as such. They don't really taste like anything else, but they are amazing. With a cury couscous and chick peas. And a bit of mayo. Yummy.

tj_italian_sausageless_sausage.thumb.jpg.a0d9df5c244e0faf9a93c250bf30b170.jpg

I like fried tofu as an appetizer when I order for my favorite Thai place. I also put a bit tofu in my salads, and I put some in my chiken sautés as well. 

But I can't imagine life without chiken. 

Other than that, lots of greens, beans, cottage, some tuna and occasionally, pastas.  

And pistachios. I eat TONS of those.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

I accidentally bought some fake beef tips. They looked real on the bag, but ended up being brown chunks of "beefish" ???. No beef in them. They weren't really bad, but like you say not a direct replacement for beef.

I haven't tried those sausage-less sausages. We have a Trader Joe's not too far from where I live and I've gone in there on occasion. I will say they look interesting.

The body needs a certain amount of protein and not all protein is the same. I was drinking plant protein drinks. More expensive than meat. 

I would probably be more healthy if I ate more salads. Adding chicken to one puts the needed protein in it.

Not very familiar with the benefits of tofu. There's a Vietnamese grocery store not far from here and I can get lots of things I have no idea what they are lol.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, Tim Smith said:

Not very familiar with the benefits of tofu. There's a Vietnamese grocery store not far from here and I can get lots of things I have no idea what they are lol.

It's cheap and easy to prepare. I do not really count on it for health benefits per se.  Experts disagree - but some seem to say that you will grow boobs. I believe that to be pretty much debunked at this point, but, all things in moderation...

For me it's simple maths: I get more mileage out of the chicken breasts I buy every week - maybe couple of extra meals by the end of the week. I don't replace, I just add it to the recipe and save some chicken.  Just a 5th or a brick or so. I got so used to it in my sautés that I actually miss it when it's not there.

In this economy, that is not a bad thing. Won't buy you an extra guitar or a new computer in a month, but maybe a decent bottle of wine or tickets to a movie (I have no idea how much these would cost admittedly).

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was tubing on the river and didn't see any girls. We rented a house directly beside the river.  That part was fun but could be surprising when a rock came along under water and bumped you on the posterior. I kept hoping an underwater sunken branch wasn't going to snag my bathing suit.  We had a whole cluster of tubes tied together so we wouldn't get separated. That I was the steer man. That contraption was interesting to steer. 

Why  don't I get to see any cute beach bunny's clad in bikinis dancing around  where I live ?

Anyway , I am super happy when I get to let this guy loose ...

823447132_Milo4.thumb.jpg.0c7673003ab4e5b2302cf30867d6651e.jpg

437949704_Milo5.jpg.cdfb3238a3df93d69f1f2fc3d58b5915.jpg  637383875_Milo9.jpg.a5b9d25bb250d6521b72fdd0b7aaa8a1.jpg

Kenny

P S Craig that location is Eisenhower Elementary  School

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

Happy dog! 😊

Wow, that's like 22 miles away from me!  I'm out in so-called "East Vantucky."  Heck, yesterday morning, less than three miles away, we had a young, black bear running through the street!  I couldn't help but wonder "Where's Mama?" 🤔

• Like 1