I Think There's Something Wrong With Me

Tim Smith

1 hour ago, James Foxall said:

The days of me getting excited about a compressor or we are long gone. 

Not sure about the compressor part, but I'm at the age where I can get excited about a good wee! 😁

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Grem said:

No, not all. Not even in the same ballpark as Bapu!!

But I do have a lot. I also now own an UA Apollo that has some really great sounding plugins.

Most of the time I use the UAD stuff, Waves, Plugin Alliance, and of course,  IK stuff.

Don't have all the UAD stuff, but I got all I want. Got a lot of PA and IK stuff!! Almost all the Waves stuff too. 

But I have no Slate, McDSP, Softube, and others like those.

There is a lot I don't have. I am just happy with what I do have.

I am in the same situation mate.

The UAD plugins I want/need (minus the SSL Bus Compressor, which I don't REALLY need).

I do have all the Softube plugins I want for my Console 1, and Izotope, Waves, PA, etc. plugins.

After last years IK group buy, I filled my cup for a long time.

It has to be something special for it to peak my interest.

I still come here every day though.

I have heard if we look in the mirror and don't see symmetry something might be off.

I mean.....it could be a problem with the mirror too.

After years using one of the older cell phones I think it grew my left ear about 2% bigger than my right ear. Darned radiation.

7 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I have heard if we look in the mirror and don't see symmetry something might be off.

The only thing that's off, is the person telling you that. 

If you see symmetry, you've either got a very weird face or a very weird brain.

• Like 1

Only a small percentage of the population has near perfect symmetry. I was sorta kidding about it.:)

Not too long ago there was a study covering what makes attractive people attractive,  and it was determined  many of them have good symmetry. We subconsciously see beauty in symmetry. 

Truly perfect symmetry looks a bit odd. As an example they took a person and photo shopped one side as two. 

People with  noticeably off symmetry as in unusual cases are not seen as attractive. Just another lump of probably useless data.;)

As people age some of their facial features continue to grow.

ugly.jpg

• Like 1

I bought so many plugins in the past.

And now my curiosity goes like I have so many expensive plugins now, but what if I stick to free plugins...?

And I'm not using any cool plugins I bought recently....Why did I even buy them? Well, I will be using them in the future...

There are great free plugins nowadays. And I learned that if we wait, the developers make better plugins than what we have now and sometimes they give us for free...

I would still buy new plugins and there are plugins I want but I wonder how much I can do with just free plugins.

16 minutes ago, Quick Math said:

I bought so many plugins in the past.

Same here. I have a bunch.

22 minutes ago, Quick Math said:

And now my curiosity goes like I have so many expensive plugins now, but what if I stick to free plugins...?

It has been argued there isn't much difference between free plug ins and paid ones. I would take this on a case by case basis since they are not all equal.

In some cases there is a HUGE difference in audio quality and processes. In other cases the lines are more blurred.  Tokyo Dawn and Melda are just a few who offer a few free plugins as leaders to their paid product. There are other companies out there that have a hand full of very useful free plugins.

Pros and cons to each. A person has nothing to loose by trying free plugins(unless malware is piggy backing on them) I would only download from reliable sources.

Some are gifted at writing plugins and not very business savvy. They get their reward by seeing the numbers of persons who download what they made. There is some satisfaction in that. Others might have a donation box on their web site. There are some amazing free plugins out there. There are others that were just someone's hobby, they might work ok but not the best.

If I were looking at free plugins I would not try anything old like 32 bit stuff, but that's me.

Theoretically, a person could get along just fine with the RIGHT free plugins in addition to their DAW.

Ongoing support and updates are reasons to stick with paid plugins. Generally speaking bought plugins are often much better written and implemented than paid plugins. Makes sense- larger and often more skilled design teams.

And you could literally have hundreds of them because they don't have a huge footprint compared to something like sample libraries. 

It only stands to reason I guess that if a person downloaded a free DAW like CbB, they might be into free plugins as well.