32 Bit VST Instrument Support

Tay Zonday

Hey, are 32 bit VST instruments still supported through an automatic wrapper?

I am on Windows 10 64 bit, but I want to open an old project that uses Native Instruments Battery 3. 

I actually found the original install files for Battery 3 and installed it. The VST DLL is in Cakewalk's 32 bit VST folder . . . AND the folder is being searched by my plugin manager . . . but I just can't get Battery 3 to load as an instrument in the current version of Cakewalk.

This is what prompted me to ask a similar question last week.  I tried to restore my computer b/c it appeared that both the CbB update and Win 10 update occurred around the same time.    My computer crashed and it's at the computer Dr as we write.  I mention that in case that's a way you might try to solve the problem.  As always, your mileage may vary.   Hopefully,  it'll be better than mine.

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

there's a 64 bit version of battery 3, get that

You can add Battery 3 as a Kontakt instrument and use the 64-bit Kontakt VST (I have most Native Instruments products). You can also add its libraries to Battery 4. 

Unfortunately, this  is not the same VST as the 32-bit standalone Battery 3 VST . . . and so an old project that used that plugin won't automatically load the same sounds.

I'd have to manually guess what Battery 3 library I was using, which would not be an issue if I could just use the original 32-bit VST plugin. 

CbB includes BitBridge. The same BitBridge that was bundled with SONAR for years. That said, if a manufacturer supplies a 64bit version of the plug-in, more often than not the 64bit version is a better solution that loading Bitbridge. As a rule, 64bit VST plug-ins are drop in replacements for 32bit VST plug-ins of the same release. It appears the latest update to Battery 3 has a 64bit VST (see https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/does-battery-3-work-on-windows-10-64-bit.269915/)

IIRC, Battery 3 also shipped in DX format. No 32bit DX plug-in will be recognized in a 64bit host.

When a plug-in does not show up in the plug-in list, here are a few things to do:

See if the plug-in is in the exclude list in the Plug-in Manager. If so, try a manual scan with "Re-scan Failed Plug-ins" enabled (make sure to disable the rescan options after the manual scan)

Run a scan log - the option is on the same preference screen as the re-scan options

Run a VST reset - same preference screen. This will clear the VST Inventory in the registry and rescan the plug-ins.

Is the Vst activated? Does it have a stand-alone version? That should tell you if it's activated or not. I have a similar issue with NI Banstand. It won't activate anymore. NI has abandoned it. I had it running in demo mode for awhile, but that is useless of course, except to tell you it works, but is not activated. I ended up uninstalling it. 

1 hour ago, Tay Zonday said:

You can add Battery 3 as a Kontakt instrument and use the 64-bit Kontakt VST (I have most Native Instruments products). You can also add its libraries to Battery 4. 

Unfortunately, this  is not the same VST as the 32-bit standalone Battery 3 VST . . . and so an old project that used that plugin won't automatically load the same sounds.

I'd have to manually guess what Battery 3 library I was using, which would not be an issue if I could just use the original 32-bit VST plugin. 

here's the installers for x64 battery3 https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000549845

15 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

Thanks everybody for their efforts on this. 

I currently have Battery version 3.2.3 -- which is linked above -- which has placed a 64 bit VST in the proper folder in Cakewalk. 

I still only see Battery 4 and not Battery 3 in my instruments. I have no indication that the 64 bit Battery 3 VST is loading. 

OK, this FINALLY RESOLVED!

Apparently, the VST Scanner application runs separately from Cakewalk. Every time I re-launched Cakewalk, the VST scanner was in a "stuck" state where it wasn't closing alongside Cakewalk or re-opening. 

Once I re-booted, the VST scanner began working again and discovered Battery 3 correctly. So the Instrument is now loading. Thank you everybody for your help. 

• Like 1