moving a bunch of tracks to a new folder shuffles order

John Bradley

Select a number of tracks in the Track View. 

Right click the first one, select Move To Folder | New Track Folder

Tracks appear in new folder in an order that makes no sense to me. It's not the order they were in, nor is it sorted in any apparent order. Ideally, I'd like them stay in the same order they were.

Note: If you create a track folder, then select all the tracks and drag them into the folder, that works - they don't shuffle around randomly. So there's that. But I invariably do it the first way and then fix it, because that "saves a step".  At least until I remember "Oh yeah, the order gets shuffled and now I have to fix that."

This is in 2022.02 patch #1.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, John Bradley said:

Tracks appear in new folder in an order that makes no sense to me. It's not the order they were in, nor is it sorted in any apparent order. Ideally, I'd like them stay in the same order they were.

Note: If you create a track folder, then select all the tracks and drag them into the folder, that works - they don't shuffle around randomly. So there's that. But I invariably do it the first way and then fix it, because that "saves a step".  At least until I remember "Oh yeah, the order gets shuffled and now I have to fix that."

This is in 2022.02 patch #1.

I just created a folder and a bunch of tracks.  The folder was below the tracks.  I selected some of the tracks, right clicked on the first one and then moved to folder.  Every time, the order was retained.   I tried this with MIDI tracks and Audio tracks. 

There might be something going on at your end that is causing the reordering at your end.

You might want to drop an note to Cakewalk support

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

On 5/11/2022 at 11:45 PM, John Bradley said:

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

I just created a folder and a bunch of tracks.  The folder was below the tracks.  I selected some of the tracks, right clicked on the first one and then moved to folder.  Every time, the order was retained.   I tried this with MIDI tracks and Audio tracks. 

image.png.6f979a6fb124d2e20d38f4742c886721.png

There seems to be some retention of the order of creation in my test.

• STEPS I USED:
    • Create 5 tracks one at a time.
      • They each get a default name that shows the order the tracks were created in.
    • Reorder the tracks.
      • I did not resave the new project (not sure that would make a difference).
    • Rename the tracks to show the new order (using ordinal numbers!).
    • Select all 5 tracks in a random order.
    • Right click on first one.
    • Select Move to Folder > New Track Folder.

The order of the tracks in the folder is based on the order the tracks were created.

• Second Test:
    • Undo the order from above.
    • Reorder and rename the tracks. to show the new order.
    • Select all 5 in a random order.
    • Insert New Track Folder.
    • Right click on the first of the five selected track.
    • Select Move to Folder > Folder 1.

image.png.3b20f1f6889b61d915f421e0bf4dddb1.png

NOTE:  There are a lot of variations.  I tried 3 more each time using either undo [sequential Ctrl+Z] or bulk [Edit > History]. One variation used the Menu Bar to create the New Folder (instead of right clicking).  Each time (so far) the order of the moved files got rearranged to the original order as created and named [Track 1  . . . Track 5].

Edited by User 905133
comment about other methods; added steps and image for variant method 1; to add an image, the steps, and the result I got
  • Like 1

Not sure its related, but before I did the folder creation and moving thing (above), I inserted the empty tracks I used. When I manually moved (highlighted frame/dragged] the tracks, track names changed as follows:       

image.png.62eeea1bcbac2885127694048b2dc6ce.png   ==>   image.png.9befe9fba92b821284152e8b6e71a854.png    ==>  image.png.d02be04bcf6564b34b67d1c6a8b62cf6.png   ==>  image.png.0379bc59092d415db5dce5b6709a9127.png

Again, not sure of any impact of the automatic naming/renaming of tracks on the folder moving/ordering issue.

image.png.d7dc7a1fd1e9286565ab4d5b7498acef.png

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

2022-07-28 UPDATE:  Based on the following  

On 7/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, Morten Saether said:

We're pleased to announce Early Access for Update 1 of 2022.06! This release includes a small handful of user reported stability issues.

Issues Resolved in Build 28.06.0.034:

• Tracks are added in reverse order when moving to folder

I revisited my contribution to this issue by duplicating my first test ("STEPS I USED" - cut-and-pasted below).  When I did this using 2022.06 Build 034, when a group of assorted tracks were moved into a new folder, instead of reverting to the "creation order," the successfully retained the same order they were in when moved as a group.

Since I was just exploring @John Bradley's concern, I will defer to his confirmation as to whether or not his issue has been solved.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:30 AM, User 905133 said:
On 5/11/2022 at 11:45 PM, John Bradley said:

Tracks appear in new folder in an order that makes no sense to me. It's not the order they were in, nor is it sorted in any apparent order. Ideally, I'd like them stay in the same order they were

There seems to be some retention of the order of creation in my test.

• STEPS I USED:
    • Create 5 tracks one at a time.
      • They each get a default name that shows the order the tracks were created in.
    • Reorder the tracks.
      • I did not resave the new project (not sure that would make a difference).
    • Rename the tracks to show the new order (using ordinal numbers!).
    • Select all 5 tracks in a random order.
    • Right click on first one.
    • Select Move to Folder > New Track Folder.

Edited by User 905133
clarification