BUG Report: Replacing multi-out synth inserts the wrong synth and freezes track

Olaf

Replacing SSD 4 on a multi-out track with either Tony Coleman Drums or EZ Drummer freezes the track, and wrongly replaces it with Waves Element, which there already is an instance of in the Synth Rack. On Undo, the track gets frozen again, and the undo operation fails - the synth keeps Element on it.

I haven't tried other synth combinations.

EDIT: SSD 4 is linked to a drum map. On replacing, a new drum map gets created without asking, and it routes to Element 2, which might be the first synth in alphabetical order.

Edited by Olaf

On 5/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, Olaf said:

EDIT: SSD 4 is linked to a drum map. On replacing, a new drum map gets created without asking, and it routes to Element 2, which might be the first synth in alphabetical order.

I can only repro that the output ports of the drum map get re-routed to the next available virtual synth port (in the order they were added to the project) while the virtual port of the synth being replaced is momentarily missing. This is not entirely surprising. It works okay if the synth being replaced is the last one inserted or the only one in the project.

I'm not not seeing the unexpected freezing.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:29 PM, David Baay said:

I can only repro that the output ports of the drum map get re-routed to the next available virtual synth port (in the order they were added to the project) while the virtual port of the synth being replaced is momentarily missing. This is not entirely surprising. It works okay if the synth being replaced is the last one inserted or the only one in the project.

I'm not not seeing the unexpected freezing.

It's weird. It might depend on other project variables. I had SSD sending to 6 different stereo outs routed to 6 audio tracks. And had a dedicated drum map loaded for the MIDI track. Once switched, the map got replaced with a new one routed to Element, which was loaded instead of TC Drums. Maybe it's connected to the number of outs, I don't know. I have two more synths in the project, other than Element and the drums, the Electric Grand, and a T-FM keyboard. Element must have been the last synth added to the project, but it's the first in alphabetical order - that's the only probable cause that stood out at first glance.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:21 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

I kind of explain what is going on here in my article on Drum Maps.

I've made time to read the article, thanks, very informative piece, but I still don't think it supports the behavior.

Normally, I think what it should do is instantiate the right synth, first, not freeze the track, second, and, as to the drum map, either keep the one loaded and replacing the destination instrument with the new one, with a warning, or remove the existing drum map, maybe with a prompt to create a new one/replace with existing. This last alternative would be my choice.