How do I get imported midi file to snap to start of song?

yeto

Question

When I import a midi file into Cakewalk it does not snap to the start of the song. I have to drag it to the start of the song which is not a big problem but was wondering if there was a way to just click something and it would snap to the start of the song?

Thank you for any help,
yeto

6 answers to this question

MIDI files don't have to start at 0 and are normally imported in place.  I don't believe there are any options in CbB to override that (I think Logic lets users do this since it seems to be the source of lots of offset MIDI files).  I ended up writing a command line utility to trim MIDI files that were like this, but that's not a practical answer for most people (a collection of drum loops I had bought were all offset, making them pretty close to unusable.)

I think it will come in with the offset no matter how you import it.  It does come in where the now time on an import but if the MIDI file doesn't start at 0 the notes will all be offset (just starting at the now time).   If you drag it in, it will drop plus the offset.   Just one of those quirky things.  When I had this problem I couldn't find any way inside SONAR to fix it, short of moving the clip by hand.

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Does it not just import at the current Now time? 

Maybe just press "W" before you do the import.

You are right. That is what is happening. If I set the Now time to 0 it works fine.

I am sorry for all the elementary questions. Thank you for taking time to help.

Kind regards,
yeto

• Like 1

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

How about importing by dragging in from the browser?

I decided to keep Rapid Composer and Cakewalk separate so I don't think dragging will work for me. I want to keep everything as simple as possible. I am a guitar player/songwriter and all I need are simple keyboard, bass and drums backing tracks. I use piano roll view to input notes and beats. This process is just a little easier with Rapid Composer.

Again, thank you for all your help,
yeto 

Edited by yeto
  • Like 1