Midi export empty

jkoseattle

Question

I am trying to export a cwp project as Midi to work on in another DAW. I am getting an empty .mid file every time. I have tried manually selecting clips I want included, as well as trying selecting no clips at all, but no matter what I've tried, I get an empty file. The tracks themselves are listed correctly, but there is no midi content in those tracks. What am I doing wrong?

5 answers to this question

I kept messing around with it, and at some point managed to get a file with data in it. Not sure what I did, but the urgency is off for me. If you'd like to reply, it may help someone else in the future, or me even, next time I have to do this. But for now, not sure what I did, but I'm moving on.

Are there any MIDI tracks or Simple Instruments Tracks in your project that contain MIDI data therein?  If not, that's your issue.

If you do have MIDI tracks or Simple Instruments Tracks in your project that contain MIDI data, then it would be better to save it as MIDI file rather than export. That way, any tempo changes will be included in your saved MIDI file.

I produce many MIDI files using Cakewalk by Bandlab, and this is how I do it.

Yes the correct way to back up a project as midi only is simply use the save as option and change to the midi format you want. 
This is something I’ve always recommended as a future proof back up of all projects. 
A huge amount of work can go into the Midi part of a project and if your like me I spend more time creating Drum, Bass and keyboard parts than I do recording Guitar and vocals. And if you produce electronic music Midi might be everything in the project. 

So making a Midi back up makes you future proof because probably it will be usable 20-30 years from now just like my Midi files from 1984 still are. 

And it’s also part of the easiest way to transfer to a different DAW. You open the Midi file in the other DAW and then just import the audio as stems. 

Not really required but If you want to spend a few minutes and set each instrument on a different channel that makes them sort of GM  friendly. 

Hmm,  this just gave me the topic for my next video, thanks for asking. 

Edited by John Vere