Aliye

bjornpdx

It's a beautiful song and arrangement Bjorn. But the Euroasian vocals doesnt really feel in sync to my ears with the music. But dont take my word for it, it could be that im not getting the flow of it. Great work none the less.

• Like 1

Steve and kloon
 Yeah, I knew the Eurasian voice didn't really fit in so much with the rest of it. Maybe that part needs more separation and something that connects better with the rest of the song. Anyway thanks for commenting.

• Like 1

I didn't know that Aliye came with translations of the seven songs in the sample library.
Below is the translation of the one song I was using. Each line corresponds to a keyboard note
so the notes I used wouldn't make a lot of sense if translated. Anyway here's the whole song.
Apparently it's Turkish

I've found that foreign songs usually tell of local customs and concerns and don't translate into anything much epic.

Rose needle lace in my scarf

I haven't laughed to my heart's content
I haven't laughed to my heart's content
I am blending the griefs
while counting the days
Take me, I can't have the heart
I am blending the griefs
while counting the days
Take me, I can't have the heart

I wait in the corner
Oh my troubles
I wait in the corner
Oh my troubles
Because of playing tabor
My wrists are tired
Take me I can't have the heart
Because of playing tabor
My wrists are tired
Take me I can't have the heart

• Thanks 1

So...if I'm understanding this correctly, the female vox are computer samples? If so, amazing! I didn't know this could be done. If not, still amazing. The vox sound great. 

The composition is interesting. It kind of reminds me of something Yes would do.  I really like some of the dissonance. Nice piece. 

• Like 1

It's only that faster phrase where she is singing a cadence in a faster bpm that kinds challenges the ear.

That middle, more droney, slower part, you have it lined up really well. The washiness of the deep reverbs never becomes boring. You might even add a smidge of rvb or pitch shifting to the bass, which as is works but could maybe gel more with a little sauce on it.

I think this is pretty killer, when she is slower, it gets into cool manthric territory very quickly.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

@amiller  Hey I really liked that Steve Vai song with the Asian(?) flavor mixed in.
@gtrpastor  They're recorded phrases and little  sighs and ooohs and things like that. Just makes it interesting to put them into a song exp if they're a bit "exotic" sounding.
@tom   Thanks. I thought I'd bring back some Alchemy sounds for this and the Dream Voices ladies were perfect.

Bjorn, you should be working with National Geographic and supplying music for their videos.  I love this song and the way you made it with samples.  The arrangement evolves smoothly, giving this song depth and subtlety.  This is master class writing and recording!

15 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Andy, Haven't heard from you in a while.  Thanks for the comment.  I'll have to check out your site and see what you've been up to lately

Hi Bjorn,

It was a pleasant listen ;)

As for my stuff... It has been getting dronier and dronier I'm afraid.

I do have a new one that has some kind of structure and even drums and I am currently plucking up the courage to post about it here...

cheers

andy

I like it, Bjorn. Hypnotic and mesmerizing. Nice mix, and the vocal components are well integrated and work really well for me. For whatever reason, small parts of it gave the same vibe as certain parts of the Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack -- the vocal work near the beginning in particular.