Blues of the Night

freddy j

Here is a bluesy number done up in the torch song style of the 1940's - 1950's (sort of).  The fictitious subject of the song is bemoaning a lost love but does not want sympathy.  Quite frankly, if I would dare to comment on an imaginary situation, he probably was lucky to get rid of her (I jest of course). 

It is a bit different from my usual Blues stuff and therefore, I would very much appreciate any crit.'s, comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!!

BLUES  OF  THE  NIGHT

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

• Like 1

As always Freddy you've delivered the goods!

On 5/9/2022 at 6:34 PM, freddy j said:

The fictitious subject of the song is bemoaning a lost love, if I would dare to comment on an imaginary situation

Reminds me of Murphy's Law of Song Writing; "we write songs about people we don't know, doing things we've never done,
in places we've never been"

👍's

Now for my one little crit.
The song is in A minor; right?
Across the verse you're playing arpeggiated triads, that over the Am chord (correct me if I'm wrong)
ends on the natural 3rd. If you're intent is to create some "tension", that's then "released", with the E arpeggio,
all well and good. To my battered ears it jumps out like a sore thumb; and it hurts.

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

Hi Douglas.  Thank you!  I appreciate the kind words and thanks for listening.

Hey Wookiee.  I went back and gave it another listen.  My intent was not to clutter up the rhythm such that it would interfere with the vocals.  However, in listening again, I appreciate your suggestion.  Perhaps a wee bit of modest cymbals work and discrete fills might help move it along a bit more.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and thanks for the suggestion.  Much appreciated!

Hi Allan.  My sinuses and allergies were in full bloom when I recorded this number.  Perhaps that accounts for the Dylanesque feel - lol.  Thank you very much for listening and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!

Hey tom.  Murphy's Law Of Song Writing --- ah, the story of my life.  Always on the outside looking in?!?  You have a good ear my friend.  I did use the triads that you mentioned on the high strings.  I used the A and E chords sliding back and forth to try and create a rhythmic feel in those sections.  In recording this I also tried the minor and 7th's and various combinations of each but to my ears the first triads used sounded best..  I was trying to not step on the vocals.  However, It sounds as if my use of the major cords,  did exactly the opposite of what I intended.  I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have.  Thanks very much for taking the time to point this out.  I always appreciate your input!

Hi Bjorn.  I am glad that you liked the song.  I was interested in your comment about the chorus.  Did you mean a different arrangement or presentation of the chorus, lyrics, vocals, etc.  I would really appreciate any thoughts that you may have.  Thanks very much for listening and taking time to comment!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freddy j said:

appreciate any suggestions

If I got the key right, the root is A minor?
I would use just the I & V; A and E (basically an A "power" chord) over the Am
Over the E chord the full triad is perfect.
As to adding the 7th on the E, whatever sounds best over the vocal melody.
On that A, since you're playing a triad, probably A E A; but maybe E A E.
Again, whatever "feels" best over the melody. Love the tune...

t

Hi Jack.  Thanks for listening and I'm glad that you liked it!

Hey Jesse.  Thanks very much (2 times)!   I appreciate your kind comments.  I have commented on some of your recent postings and as always they are a listening treat!!

Hi David.  Thanks for listening and also for your very kind comments.  I haven't played live since college days -- that was shortly after they invented electricity.  During my working days and family needs the guitar was stuffed away in the closet.  In my state of advanced chronology now - I'm afraid that live performing would be too intimidating.  Thanks again!

Hi Nigel.  Thanks very much for the kind comments.  BTW, I love your recent post!!

Hi tom!  You were absolutely right in your assumption of the key.  I really appreciate your suggestions!!  I am very poorly schooled on the subject and was inspired to go and learn more about the subject.  I do not consider myself a musician but a hack who loves the topic and needs all the help he can get.  Thanks again!!

Hey John.  Good to see you back on the forum and I very much enjoyed your recent post!!  Ah, a torch song is a song about unrequited love with one person lamenting the situation and the other person - well -gone.   Torch songs have been done in all musical genre but my favourites have been done in one style or another of the Blues.  Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment!!

• Like 2

Freddy. I really like the tune and am a fan of the genre. I agree with a previous comment about the strength of the chorus but really, it's fine as it is. If you're like me you'll come back to it as you learn more about what works and what doesn't and you'll either take it up again or let it stand as a statement about who you are today. I think this is good work 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin.  I certainly don't disagree about the chorus.  I tend to put the song aside for a while and collect input.  Then I go back and try out the suggestions.  The point being, I appreciate your suggestions and appreciate your taking the time to listen and share your ideas.  Many thanks!!

Hello Bapu!  Tom Petty -- how nice!  One of my favourite Florida guys (band).  Ya, the rhythm could definitely come forward a bit  -  after all Blues is all about the rhythm.  Thanks very much for listening and taking the time to comment!!

• 2 weeks later...