Piano Roll View

"Playing" at work is always fun... till u get caught. :D

Yes, piano rolls were literal paper rolls with punched holes that triggered the notes to be played.

Modern player-pianos use computerized mechanisms that can be put on regular pianos and operated by your smart phone. 

On 6/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, User 905133 said:

A few years ago (maybe 12-15?) someone at a neighborhood yard sale was closing up shop, so I made an offer on the lot of piano rolls he had left just so he didn't have to cart them back into the house.  Clearly, they are the antecedents to MIDI.  Does anyone not know that?

"Play notes X, Y and Z.  Stop notes X, Y, and Z."  

BTW, there are some dedicated fans of piano rolls who have developed methods for converting them to MIDI. Fascinating  stuff, if anyone is interested.** 

**UPDATE: HOLY CRAPPOLA!!!  I haven't looked up "How to convert piano rolls to MIDI" in quite a while and the internet now seems to have become overrun with webpages about DAW-based piano rolls.  It is hard to find the sites I had in mind.  There used to be a number of excellent sites, including details on how people have built piano roll conversion hardware.  

Had a player piano with the rolls when I was a kid. Had to pump it with your feat.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, User 905133 said:

**UPDATE: HOLY CRAPPOLA!!!  I haven't looked up "How to convert piano rolls to MIDI" in quite a while and the internet now seems to have become overrun with webpages about DAW-based piano rolls.  It is hard to find the sites I had in mind.  There used to be a number of excellent sites, including details on how people have built piano roll conversion hardware.  

Here's one example...

https://exhibits.stanford.edu/supra/feature/piano-roll-scanner

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes, that's one that does show up, but there were others, too.  The ones I had in mind might be buried because of the proliferation of sites related to DAW-based PRV that weren't on the internet 10-12 years ago. Not sure I bookmarked the ones I looked at back then.  Who knew they would become buried.

Edited by User 905133

14 hours ago, User 905133 said:

The ones I had in mind might be buried because of the proliferation of sites related to DAW-based PRV that weren't on the internet 10-12 years ago. Not sure I bookmarked the ones I looked at back then.  Who knew they would become buried.

I have found that to be an issue with other search terms that are related to more a modern context. Search engine optimization... SMH.

Edited by abacab