Can't Split After Melodyne Edit

In my most recent project I've been using Melodyne Assistant to edit my vocal tracks. I've noticed after I have done a Melodyne edit on a vocal audio clip (not an entire track), I can't split that clip anymore. When I try the split function is grayed out, unavailable.  I can crop it by dragging one end or the other, but can't split it once I've used Melodyne and saved my work.

I wanted to split it because I had the same lyrical phrase on the tail end of another clip that came out better after editing with Melodyne.  I figured I could just split the clips,  and replace the end piece with the better of the two since they were the same lyric/phrase.   I ended up being able to work around it by drag cropping them both and sliding the better one into place.

Just wondering why does the clips split function gets cancelled out after using Melodyne?

16 hours ago, musikman1 said:

In my most recent project I've been using Melodyne Assistant to edit my vocal tracks. I've noticed after I have done a Melodyne edit on a vocal audio clip (not an entire track), I can't split that clip anymore. When I try the split function is grayed out, unavailable.  I can crop it by dragging one end or the other, but can't split it once I've used Melodyne and saved my work.

I wanted to split it because I had the same lyrical phrase on the tail end of another clip that came out better after editing with Melodyne.  I figured I could just split the clips,  and replace the end piece with the better of the two since they were the same lyric/phrase.   I ended up being able to work around it by drag cropping them both and sliding the better one into place.

Just wondering why does the clips split function gets cancelled out after using Melodyne?

When a Meloydne Region FX is active, Melodyne takes ownership of the clip which is why split is disabled. 

You need to render the Region FX first to relinquish control from Melodyne.

Ok I see. Thanks guys!  I usually just do a save of my project as I go, then render the entire vocal track once I'm done editing the whole thing with Melodyne. When I render it I just use bounce track function, and bounce that entire vocal track to another audio track, I assume that's the method you are referring to?  I think the only other method would be to freeze it, I usually just bounce it down, same result.

I'm editing small pieces of the vocal track at a time.  Is there a better or more efficient way of doing this?

Edited by musikman1

1 hour ago, musikman1 said:

Ok I see. Thanks guys!  I usually just do a save of my project as I go, then render the entire vocal track once I'm done editing the whole thing with Melodyne. When I render it I just use bounce track function, and bounce that entire vocal track to another audio track, I assume that's the method you are referring to?  I think the only other method would be to freeze it, I usually just bounce it down, same result.

I'm editing small pieces of the vocal track at a time.  Is there a better or more efficient way of doing this?

No it's better to work on shorter clips so what you're doing in this regard is correct

What you probably need to do is when you've finished editing a clip is to right click it, go into Region Fx > Melodyne and choose Render Region Fx

Ok, I wasn't doing that. Thank you for letting me know, that's probably a better way to do it instead of just bouncing the track.

Also, I would think having all those Melodyne edited clips sitting there un-rendered would unnecessarily be taking up some kind of CPU or memory as well, correct?