Auto Punch-in pops/clicks

Please forgive me with this question, as I know there is probably a very simple thing I'm overlooking, but can't remember what to do. I recall a few months ago while tracking some bass tracks that auto punch worked seamlessly and I didn't have to create any cross-fades manually or do any other editing. The newly recorded part melded with the existing perfectly.

Now, I'm getting the dreaded pop/click at the punch point and have to mess with the cross-fades. I've read the manual and watched videos, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help.

~Jeff

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Enable auto-crossfade before you start recording:

image.thumb.png.55e687f11cb7e3c5599277dd724b8cce.png

I did that. But when I hit record, the existing clip shrinks back to where the punch point is. All information after the punch point disappears.. So when I punch in, there is no overlap to crossfade.  I always back up the cursor a few bars before the punch point so I can play along up to the punch point while recording, but there is always a pop/click. 

If I don't use punch, and just start playing, then yes I can do manual crossfades which is fine. But it's just extra work that I shouldn't have to do.