Which driver/

16 hours ago, daniel io said:

Since the last update Asio4All stopped working, I still have a card but many have problems.

Lucky you. You don't need to use a 3rd party driver written for Windows XP anymore. See tutorial #1 for Audio set up in Cakewalk. 

16 hours ago, daniel io said:

Since the last update Asio4All stopped working, I still have a card but many have problems.

i might be mistaken, but given the years of trouble (for other users not me) with asio4all, did the devs introduce a specific check/change for it? also, what audio device are you using, the onboard realtek?

10 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Lucky you. You don't need to use a 3rd party driver written for Windows XP anymore. See tutorial #1 for Audio set up in Cakewalk. 

when a new user, often a student with limited resources, fails on the get go, they'll usually try/go for another daw

with cbb now being a freebie, i think the devs should spend some time focussing on such users and making sure it's as (hate to say it) a mac/garageband, rather than the sometimes exotic feature requests from long term cw/sonar users - -ie, make sure it works well ootb with the global pc laptop audio chip realtek, marketing-wise isn't that a no-brainer?

/fwiw/goodluck

• Like 1

i installed the latest driver, It shows "driver mode" as UWP. still getting clicks and pops. I also installed cubase , and have heard that Steinberg install a driver of its own. That's about the time i started having driver issues. ok found registry edit "drivers" get the message
"Drivers cannot be opened"
"an error is preventing this key from opening"

Edited by John Balich
unclear question

15 minutes ago, John Balich said:

installed the latest driver, It shows "driver mode" as UWP. still getting clicks and pops.

UWP is a MIDI driver mode. Has nothing to do with audio.

16 minutes ago, John Balich said:

I also installed cubase , and have heard that Steinberg install a driver of its own. That's about the time i started having driver issues.

Bingo. You need to get rid of that pesky Steinberg generic ASIO driver. That is your problem right there.

12 minutes ago, John Balich said:

i installed the latest driver, It shows "driver mode" as UWP. still getting clicks and pops

That is the MIDI driver mode NOT the audio driver and has no effect on audio playback.

The audio driver mode is in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording

14 minutes ago, John Balich said:

I also installed cubase , and have heard that Steinberg install a driver of its own.

Yes, it bundles a generic low latency driver and, like all other generic ASIO drivers, is known to interfere with factory supplied ASIO drivers. Either uninstall it or remove its entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

16 minutes ago, John Balich said:

Where do i find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO? 

In the registry. Use regedit to remove the generic low latency driver and any others except for the Komplete interface.

Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording...........that's what i am looking at   i see.at alst heres is the list shown as available

ASIO
WDM/KS
WASAPI Exclusive
WASAPI Shared
MME (32 bit)
 OK found the drivers in regedit it shows           ASIO4ALL v 2
                                                                                                      GENERIC LOW LATENCY DRIVER
                                                                                                       KOMPLETE AUDIO 6
                                                                                                       KOMPLETE AUDIO ASIO DRIVER

Edited by John Balich

An interface should have at most one driver in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

Since generic drivers can work with any connected device, there are 4 ASIO drivers installed for the Komplete 

Determine which of the Komplete entries is the newest and remove all the rest.

May want to export the Komplete driver before deleting it just in case the driver you select does not work.

If it does not work replace it with the other Komplete driver.

MME for the audio driver mode has not worked well for me over the past 10-15 years (at least). 

MME for the MIDI driver mode (v. UWP) works for me because my MIDI gear is older.

It can be confusing to some since they are both "MME."  I believe it stems from Multi Media Extensions.  Not sure if it dates back to Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, before or after. [See Historical Notes below. ]Not sure why MME for audio is still listed as an option for today's PC, except so the software works on older computers and laptops, maybe. 

Doesn't the Cakewalk Reference Guide mention anything about avoiding the MME audio driver? I don't have mine handy, but according to SONAR 8.5 (c) 2009:

In most situations, the newer WDM (Windows Driver Model) sound card drivers that most sound card vendors are creating are a much better choice than the older MME (Multi-Media Extensions) drivers. If your sound card vendor has a WDM driver, it’s usually a good idea use it. The following table compares their characteristics:

So even "back then" MME (the audio mode) was not a first choice option.

• Historical Notes:
    • "[WASAPI] is the current type of driver used in Windows 10, and supersedes MME (1991), DirectSound (1995), and WDM (1998)."  
    • "[Windows 3.1]  was released to manufacturing on April 6, 1992, as a successor to Windows 3.0."
Edited by User 905133
typing changes; added historical notes wrt MME

ok cleaned drivers from "software" menu.  All that's left is Komplete Audio 6 driver. Opened Cakewalk.............    OPENED "preferences."  Audio driver is set "WASAPI Shared."
Midi driver is "UWP"......................................no sound.

Edited by John Balich
SYNTAX

Chage the driver mode to ASIO and verify the driver is selected in Preferences > Audio > Devices

MIDI Driver mode has nothing to do with audio but may determine whether or not MIDI data is received from the MIDI side of the interface.