one key file activation once only

prajwal

hello guys the activation system in cakewalk a single key file must be made . and I was wondering if I dont refresh activation after 6 months in my cakewalk will I still be able to use it 

it's a bit odd ones activation must be used 

Cakewalk needs to be re-activated at least every 6 months.  Normally, updating Cakewalk from inside the application will automatically refresh activation.

If you don't refresh activation, after 6 months you'll still be able to use Cakewalk, but Save and Export will be disabled.

Because Cakewalk is now free, we have no sales figures to refer to, so activation is the only way we can keep a track of how many active users we have and what version they are running.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

"If you don't refresh activation, after 6 months you'll still be able to use Cakewalk, but Save and Export will be disabled.

Because Cakewalk is now free, we have no sales figures to refer to, so activation is the only way we can keep a track of how many active users we have and what version they are running."

So basically you chose to disable the very reason for using the "free" software to begin with? Forgive me but isn't that a "screw the end user" action?  The only reason someone is using your software is to have the ability to save and export their projects.. I'm sure you're well aware of this fact. 

What about the end user that couldn't care less about using the bandlab website and doesn't care about updates to the cakewalk program.. they just want to use the recording software for their own purposes that doesn't include online publishing?  What they have is just fine.  Considering that the current emergency political climate lately. AKA expecting cyber attacks, hacking. internet down situation. Do you care enough about your users to provide a way to continue to use this "free" software in the event that the internet goes away. using a second pc with an internet connection doesn't cut it in that scenario. Its a valid question. looking forward to your answer.

Sincerely;

A user that doesn't care about online publishing or updates.

Edited by Steven Eades
  • Meh 2

thank you for responding 57Gregy

Do those programs have the same functionality as cakewalk? with the same interface? or will I have to spend 2 months learning a different interface? I've never used the programs you just mentioned. Aside from that its not the point. everyone using cakewalk chose to use it for a reason. installed plugins, created projects, etc and if reactivation isn't possible then every user is dealing with a program trapdoor. wondering if it will be available in a few months. While we're on the subject. if its a free program why is it still tied to an online service anyway? from what I've seen they're about to discontinue cakewalk in favor for the ever so  popular "pay us till the end of time" model that most everything is moving to. Its just frustrating for someone that's on fixed income and cant afford to maintain multiple autodraw subscriptions. someone that remembers a time when you bought the right to use a program and that was it. If you wanted an update you went online and checked for it. if it was worth it you downloaded it and installed then you were done till the next update. If you didn't want to update,, you didn't have to. 

• Haha 1
  • Meh 1

13 hours ago, Steven Eades said:

So basically you chose to disable the very reason for using the "free" software to begin with? Forgive me but isn't that a "screw the end user" action?  The only reason someone is using your software is to have the ability to save and export their projects.. I'm sure you're well aware of this fact. 

since you're late to the party - as far as i'm aware, there was never going to be a "free forever" product while the Bandlab folks tried to get the product(s) in shape enough to sell commercially. and the discussion on the new commercial products has been underway for about a year... so either use an old version, or another free/low cost product. i'm on a fixed income but plan on either subscribing when the new Sonar is ready, or i'll use Reaper and suffer in silence.

and yes, like any computer thingie, it's an excellent idea to future proof your archives by going to the simpliest model - in this case exporting WAV files, documenting everything, cleaning up, zipping/ etc and storing it across several platforms/disks etc in case you ever need to re-open it and do stuff, or someone finds it and want to resurrect it in ProTools or Studio One... LOL.

• Great Idea 2

On 2/26/2024 at 9:20 PM, Steven Eades said:

Do those programs have the same functionality as cakewalk? with the same interface? or will I have to spend 2 months learning a different interface?

Well, they're simpler. Probably don't have as many geegaws as CbB, but I never use that stuff anyway.
I write, arrange and record my simple songs, and they do that. I'm simple, too.
I am certain chart-ready songs were recorded with older versions of Cakewalk software and I understand that many folks want all the latest... whatever.
Of course, if you never bought any of those old programs, on disk, then you won't be able to use them, natch.
As Glenn mentioned, there are other software available, which have different interfaces and functionality, and may require an outlay of cash, but it can be done.
I also am (semi-) retired and on a fixed income, plus some part-time work to pad the wallet, and I probably will buy the new Sonar when it's ready.
Anyway, good luck and happy recording, whatever you choose to use.

This is actually hilarious if you know what is actually happening right now. Very funny. 
Why do people keep saying Subscription? The developers know that’s a bad move and at no point have dared to mention the word.

Please take the time to read the easily found posts by the  developers so as not to perpetuate myths. 

Edited by John Vere