VST3 synths supported in Cakewalk?

Bad Mac

As best I can tell from the three threads created by the OP, there are issues with 2 VST3 plug-ins: EZ Drummer 3 and Session Drummer 3.

This was compounded by the plug-in browser appearing to have VST3 plug-ins "greyed out" with icons that looked like they were disconnected suggesting the plug-ins were disabled.

Toontrack has already acknowledged issues with both plug-ins on their forum and the plug-in browser is properly displaying the plug-ins based on the active theme.

• Like 1

Either testers did not have the error (one user in this thread reported EZD3 runs OK) or

they did and failed to report it or

they reported the problem and Toontrack released the product anyway.

I am sure there is more than one bug on the to-do list for EZD3 and probably more than one bug that crashes the plug-in.

Chances are there are more bugs yet to be reported.

Yes lots of unanswered question from the OP.    That ALL VST3's are crashing has never been actually verified even though it was a question asked by scook early on. Looking at the list it would seem Sample Tank, Syntronik and Iris2  would also be crashing? 

I also noticed the duplication of all VST3 and VST 2 instruments. The OP might want to check the boxes in Preferences to prevent this. 

848567611_browserpic.PNG.da781612e3e8029dcc0b66b0c86f54e8.png.2589a1d6d22ba06499a6e079aee5e841.png

275615288_Screenshot(408)_LI.jpg.40c55ca9ae9c219daf2fe35de8e19ea1.jpg

Thinking about other info that might be related to issues. Here's some more things to chew on. In the OP signature they list their Audio interface. A quick trip to the Tascam support page finds we are dealing with a very obsolete device. We actually don't know if the OP is running W10. Do VST3's run on W7? I google the question and there was no immediate answers. 

672173164_Screenshot(410).png.26276ea2d6b888ab9c1ff6747d6045ce.png

Re: The FW-1884:  While it cannot be ruled out as an issue on the OPs PC (regardless of whether or not any such issue might impact VST3s not working), I just want to add a few things as long as @John Vere raised it as a possible issue. On my system (recognizing all systems are different)

• sometimes Windows doesn't see the driver (v1.80) at the start of the day until I reboot the FW-1884.  I suspect a few things things but on my system:
    • the only problem I have seen if I need to reboot is that the ASIO lines are not seen by Windows (and therefore software that replies on some of Windows' Sound Services).
    • on my system,  non-ASIO audio modes work until such time that I reboot the FW-1884 and Windows sees the ASIO lines.
  •  VST3s work as they should--even if I have not rebooted the FW-1884 to make sure Windows sees the ASIO driver properly

Let me be clear, blaming the FW-1884 for the OPs problem is premature. It might be problematic, but it is not necessarily problematic as concerns Cakewalk, VSTs, etc.  On my legacy 2011 era system Cakewalk works quite well.  And while I could push the PC beyond what its resources can handle, the PC, running Cakewalk with the FW-1884 can handle tens of hundreds of plug-ins -- probably not all at the same time, though. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

. . . while I could push the PC beyond what its resources can handle, the PC, running Cakewalk with the FW-1884 can handle tens of hundreds of plug-ins -- probably not all at the same time, though.  😜

image.png.7f3cc672d2888a8e496df13c05248ea4.png

PS: Even though its late in the day, I had not yet rebooted the FW-1884 so Windows 10 would do its Audio Endpoint Builder double check.  As a result, Cakewalk did not see my ASIO Driver / audio lines, but ASAPI (Shared Mode) had them all! 

After power cycling the FW-1884, rebooting Cakewalk. and then switching from ASAPI to ASIO, Cakewalk running with the FW-1884 sees my plug-ins!!!  (Including 26 new ones I must have forgotten I added.)

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

@User 905133  Good to know, My Tascam 1641 was made in 2008 , last driver was issued in 2016 and says W10. Tascam make good Windows drivers. I'd say that my 1641 driver outperforms my brand new Motu M4 driver in some ways.

My reason for mentioning the Tascam was when I saw it didn't support W10 I was wondering if the OP was still on W7 ?. I tried Googling " Does Windows 7 support VST3" and came up with no answers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scook said:

Either testers did not have the error (one user in this thread reported EZD3 runs OK) or

they did and failed to report it or

they reported the problem and Toontrack released the product anyway.

I am sure there is more than one bug on the to-do list for EZD3 and probably more than one bug that crashes the plug-in.

Chances are there are more bugs yet to be reported.

Well, yeah.

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

I tried Googling " Does Windows 7 support VST3" and came up with no answers.

Well, technically, Windows doesn't support VST3 plug-ins (just as Microsoft doesn't officially recognize ASIO as a driver model), it's the other way around. But I did use VST3's for years, including with CbB, on Windows 7.

Moreover, since Steinberg came out with the VST3 spec in 2008, even Windows 8 was still 4 years down the road, and Windows 10 was 7 years off. So yeah, VST3 better have supported Windows 7.

I've found, though, that it's taken some manufacturers a while to get VST3 right. Acon Digital's excellent Multiply Chorus, a freeware stalwart for many years, was updated to include VST3 support, and it's just broken on Cakewalk in VST3 form. Same with a Hornet plug-in that came out just last year. So the dance is still "install VST3 first, if it has issues, try the VST2 instead."

A wholesale failure for all VST3 instruments to work in Cakewalk is a big anomaly, but @Bad Mac hasn't said whether he's tried any of the ones I suggested. As far as I can tell, he's having trouble with one single instrument that others have also had trouble with.

Until he checks back in, it's a mystery.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/3/2022 at 7:31 PM, Bad Mac said:

In my case it is true! EZDrummer and SD3 vst3 do not work in cakewalk. All of the VST3 instruments i have do not work. if you know something about how to get them to work please share. 

https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/ezd3-crash-on-loading-vst-into-cakewalk-by-bandlab/#post-2925688

In my case it is true too!
Pigments 4.0.1.2949

01_CWBL_CRASH_PIGMENTS_2022_12_29.jpg.8c43327de5a58e40dde4dd7f4e6d8365.jpg

15 minutes ago, F0h said:

Pigments 4.0.1.2949

This reply has nothing to do with the problem experienced by the OP.

The subject of the thread is misleading as subsequent posts revealed the problem was VST3 plug-ins released by Toontrack.

Toontrack acknowledged the issue and AFAIK addressed it in subsequent releases.

Arturia Pigments VST3 v4.0.1.2949 loads OK here in CbB 2022.11 build 21 on Win 10 Pro 22H2 

It is not clear when the error occurred> Was it during the initial scan, a subsequent scan, attempting to load the plug-in into a project, opening a existing project referencing the plug-in or some other time (please be specific in your new thread).

Is there a repeatable formula to generate the error?

Better to create a separate thread for this issue. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, F0h said:

Pigments 4.0.1.2949

Hi CakeWalkers.
My solution is just a little annoying:02_CWBL_MINIHOST_PIGMENTS.thumb.jpg.4eb87b33a9a8e752ccf9a37fe7f04bb3.jpg
1. Install a vst host
2. Load the vst3 in the installed vst host

Happy new year!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, F0h said:

Hi CakeWalkers.
My solution is just a little annoying:
1. Install a vst host
2. Load the vst3 in the installed vst host

Happy new year!

Using a plug-in within CbB hosted in another host is not necessarily a bad thing.  I have used this technique successfully and without issues with plug-ins inside of Voltage Modular inside of CbB. The method allows for some wonderful interconnectivity.  I have done this with a number of plug-ins.

However, Pigments within a Voltage Modular host inside of CbB along side of instances of Pigments hosted by CbB seems to cause extreme slowness requiring CbB to be killed to get back control.

Also, when I first inserted Pigments into an empty project, the Synth Rack showed Pigments considerably before the UI window opened up. I do not have a super modern graphics device and since Pigments uses a lot of graphics, I am not sure if my graphics device is part of my issue. 

• Like 1

Check mark in these 4 boxes

rescan failed plugins 

rescan all plugins

scan in sandbox

generate scan log

Rescan plugins.

If they still crash, move non working plugins to the desktop or other folder not in the scan path. Scan as above to completely remove them. Move them back and scan as above.  If this does not work you defiantly should send dump files to vendors and cakewalk.