IK Miroslav Philharmonik

cclarry

3 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Not sure I need it though.

Not sure I did either, but the full Miroslav 2 was included in the last Total Studio 2 MAX Maxgrade, that I got into for a total of $104 with Jam Points.

It's actually pretty good, and integrates fully into SampleTank 4. But if you already have plenty of orchestral libraries, it's probably not a must have.

Edit: Just be aware that Miroslav 2 is an older SampleTank 3 format instrument, same as Syntronik 1 and SampleTank 3. It will scan directly into SampleTank 4, no importing required.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wasn't that library originally sampled more than 20 years ago? Frankly,  I'm surprised IK is still selling it and hasn't put out something new. It's ridiculously outdated and has been for many years. 

They did a lot more to it.  The original might be 8gb total.  

7 hours ago, bdickens said:

Yeah, so what?

So sampling has advanced dramatically over the more than 20 years since those original samples were recorded. The way you do sessions to record an orchestra  for a sophisticated sample library today is very different than what you would do two plus decades ago. Today's sophisticated sample libraries have significantly greater detail than those made in the 90s or the 2000s; they have multiple velocity layers,  multiple round robins and of course, the best have sophisticated scripting that is far beyond what libraries had back then, but, of course,  that can always be added,  where a developer's hands are tied with decades  old recordings. They're simply not going to have the  recorded material there to handle all of the velocity layers and round robins to create a modern,  sophisticated orchestral library,  because these things are very sophisticated beasts. Although,  I do seem to recall IK adding some additional samples in rhe 2010s, but not doing a complete overhaul, which I,  since long ago,  expected. 

FTR, I own the first version of Miroslav for Sampletank, which I recall came out in the early 2000s and it was already using really old samples from the 90s at that time and not at the same level of the more sophisticated libraries even 20 years ago. And the latest 2 LE version I own  doesn't seem like a giant leap from the first version.  I'm saying that after 20 years -- whatever it is -- I expected that IK would have come out with a new orchestral library with newly recorded samples -- a more sophisticated library to replace this one. It's just surprising to me that they haven't.  I'd like to see them do so. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 4

• Over 58GB of 24-bit / 96kHz high-definition samples
  • Includes the complete original Miroslav Philharmonik sound library optimized for more control with articulation switching and enhanced macros
  • Recorded and produced by jazz legend Miroslav Vitous
  • Over 2,700 stereo instruments that cover the complete orchestral spectrum and more
  • Multiple articulations per instrument with articulation switching
  • Comes with ConvoRoom convolution reverb with 3D GUI
  • 34 high-quality studio effects from SampleTank 3
  • 4 professional-grade mastering processors from T-RackS
  • Multi-channel mixer-like Mix interface with 16 channels and 4 insert effects per channel, 4 stereo effect returns (with 5 insert effects each) and a master channel with 5 insert effects
  • Access to the powerful instrument Edit page with 3 sample engines (including formant preserving pitch-shifting and time-stretching engines), 10 filter types and 8 macro controls per instrument for quick multi-parameter editing
  • Based on SampleTank 3’s powerful 64-bit engine
  • Recorded at CNSO Studios in Prague

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik2/

For the price of a single instrument library from Vienna VSL.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

So sampling has advanced dramatically over the more than 20 years since those original samples were recorded. The way you do sessions to record an orchestra  for a sophisticated sample library today is very different than what you would do two plus decades ago. Today's sophisticated sample libraries have significantly greater detail than those made in the 90s or the 2000s; they have multiple velocity layers,  multiple round robins and of course, the best have sophisticated scripting that is far beyond what libraries had back then, but, of course,  that can always be added,  where a developer's hands are tied with decades  old recordings. They're simply not going to have the  recorded material there to handle all of the velocity layers and round robins to create a modern,  sophisticated orchestral library,  because these things are very sophisticated beasts. Although,  I do seem to recall IK adding some additional samples in rhe 2010s, but not doing a complete overhaul, which I,  since long ago,  expected. 

FTR, I own the first version of Miroslav for Sampletank, which I recall came out in the early 2000s and it was already using really old samples from the 90s at that time and not at the same level of the more sophisticated libraries even 20 years ago. And the latest 2 LE version I own  doesn't seem like a giant leap from the first version.  I'm saying that after 20 years -- whatever it is -- I expected that IK would have come out with a new orchestral library with newly recorded samples -- a more sophisticated library to replace this one. It's just surprising to me that they haven't.  I'd like to see them do so. 

True that, but Miroslav does have velocity layers and round robins.

"Old recordings" or not, it still sounds pretty decent. Nope, its not Spitfire, but pretty good nonetheless. 

Biggest issue I have with it is a lack of consistency in articulations and keyswitches. Articulation maps mitigate that.

• Like 1

If you don't have a nice Orchestra library then it isn't a bad purchase.  Is it the best out there?  No IMHO, but for most of us that are not Jerry composing Symphony pieces it does the trick.  Heck I would love to have Vienna Cube but I don't have $$$$ for it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InstrEd said:

If you don't have a nice Orchestra library then it isn't a bad purchase.  Is it the best out there?  No IMHO, but for most of us that are not Jerry composing Symphony pieces it does the trick.  Heck I would love to have Vienna Cube but I don't have $$$$ for it. 

I'd take Garritan if it were at that price.  Easy to use and small footprint.   Spitfire Originals are $29 each.

2 hours ago, Kal S said:

@Simeon Amburgey has done an excellent video with the MP2.

This brings back a lot of memories for sure as it was one of my first videos on the channel.
Philharmonik 2 will always be a classic. I remember when I first hear of the original Miroslav Vitous Akai Sample Library CDs.

I just saw a 2010 Sound On Sound article that wanted $999 for the strings library!!!!!

• Like 1