SOLVED: Sonitus comp side chain

Paul G

I side chained the Sonitus comp in a verb bus last night to duck the verb.  CbB became unstable and then locked up.  The file became corrupted.  Is there an issue with the Sonitus comp in CbB?  I use it all the time but not SC'd.  Any ideas on what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions

Edited by Paul G

I've tried several different compressors in this scenario and CbB continues to lock up, (it's also locked the computer up as well).  I must be doing something wrong.  I'm placing  the compressor in the verb bus behind the verb plugin.  I'm creating a send from the vox track which outputs to the comps SC input.  It should work.  What am I missing?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

On 6/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, Paul G said:

Is there an issue with the Sonitus comp in CbB?

Not here. I just tried creating a new project with

• an Audio track containing a couple of clips added to it and set up the track to loop
  • Added a reverb bus w/ FabFilter Pro-R and Sonitus Comp in the FX Rack
  • Added sends from the audio track to the reverb bus and Sonitus Comp side chain
  • Ran for some time adjusting the reverb and compressor.

Worked OK.

Running CbB 25.5.0.31 on Win10 v1809.

Similar CPU and RAM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul G said:

I've tried several different compressors in this scenario and CbB continues to lock up, (it's also locked the computer up as well).  I must be doing something wrong.  I'm placing  the compressor in the verb bus behind the verb plugin.  I'm creating a send from the vox track which outputs to the comps SC input.  It should work.  What am I missing?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

Doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong. It could be a corrupt project. Can you try to create a new project and just re-create tracks to reproduce your side chain and see if it still happens?  You can also contact tech support and send them your project to see if they can reproduce it.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, scook said:

Not here. I just tried creating a new project with

• an Audio track containing a couple of clips added to it and set up the track to loop
  • Added a reverb bus w/ FabFilter Pro-R and Sonitus Comp in the FX Rack
  • Added sends from the audio track to the reverb bus and Sonitus Comp side chain
  • Ran for some time adjusting the reverb and compressor.

Worked OK.

Running CbB 25.5.0.31 on Win10 v1809.

Similar CPU and RAM.

Thanks Steve.  Are you placing the plugins in the FX bin or the Pro Channel?  I can't see that making any difference though.

Paul

3 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong. It could be a corrupt project. Can you try to create a new project and just re-create tracks to reproduce your side chain and see if it still happens?  You can also contact tech support and send them your project to see if they can reproduce it.

Thanks Reginald.  I'll try that.

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul G said:

Thanks guys. 

New stripped down project with 1 vox track and it works fine.  Now I have to figure out why the other project is going bonkers!

Paul

@Paul G, I really like @reginaldStjohn's idea,

You can also contact tech support and send them your project to see if they can reproduce it.

You can submit a support request here: https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

There is a place where you can attach the project file in the support request.

The Cakewalk by BandLab developers are really working at making the program more reliable so corrupt project files that act strange can really help them make the program better for all users.

23 hours ago, fogle622 said:

@Paul G, I really like @reginaldStjohn's idea,

You can submit a support request here: https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

There is a place where you can attach the project file in the support request.

The Cakewalk by BandLab developers are really working at making the program more reliable so corrupt project files that act strange can really help them make the program better for all users.

Thanks, I will.

Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Curious: which 'verb plug are you using? I know it shouldn't matter, but then, CbB shouldn't be locking up when you sidechain the compressor.

Maybe there's a specific reverb that doesn't like being next door to that compressor while it's being sidechained.

I'm using Valhalla Plate but that's the same verb I used in the test project mentioned above and it worked fine.  That's a good idea though, Eric.  I'll try it out.

Thanks.

Paul

• Like 1