Pressing keys isn't showing in Notes Pane

Starship Krupa

Question

I don't know what's gone wrong, but on my main DAW system, when I play notes on my MIDI controller, they sound, but I don't see them being "pressed" on the Notes Pane keyboard.

It works fine on my other system, so what did I do to turn it off? More importantly, what do I do to turn it back on?

(BTW, it's not theme-related, it also doesn't work with Mercury)

4 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Is your MIDI controller configured as a Control Surface by any chance?

Yes, it is. Deleting it from the list of ACT Control Surfaces restored my visual keypress feedback. Thank you.

Does that mean that I can either have my visual feedback of keypresses OR knob control in my VST's, but not both? 😥

If so, I kinda don't understand that. A note on is a note on, is it not? If it triggers the synth to make a sound, why not show the keypresses in the Notes Pane?

From what I have gathered in other forum posts, when a MIDI controller is configured as a Control Surface, it takes over your MIDI controller entirely.

Does your MIDI controller provide two MIDI ports to the PC?

I know the PCR-800 does.  The PCR-800 shows up in Preferences | MIDI | Devices as two ports: PCR 1 and PCR 2

So I believe that if I wanted to configure my PCR-800 as a Control Surface, I would need to do the following:

Configure the PCR-800 to send keyboard note events to both ports (I just checked my manual and this is possible).

Then in Preferences | MIDI | Devices, I would simply enable PCR 2 - then select that as the input of any MIDI track or Simple Instrument Track.

As I do not use my PCR-800 as a Control Surface, but as a simpe MIDI contrler, I just enable, and use, PCR 1 as my MIDI input(s) in CbB.

To know how you do this with your MIDI Controller (or if it’s eve possible), you would have delve in your MIDI Controller's user guide.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't know what's gone wrong, but on my main DAW system, when I play notes on my MIDI controller, they sound, but I don't see them being "pressed" on the Notes Pane keyboard.

It works fine on my other system, so what did I do to turn it off? More importantly, what do I do to turn it back on?

(BTW, it's not theme-related, it also doesn't work with Mercury)

You might find this topic interesting on this. 

Even though it is what they say - strangely enought, it still works fine myside - even with these interesting troubleshoots they did here. 

Just some knowledge to take in.