One Tick Slide Problem Identified

DallasSteve

Question

I had posted a question a few weeks or months ago about a problem in Cakewalk.  It is sliding all of my note events one tick earlier and that wrecks the work that I am doing in selecting ranges.  I think that I have picked notes that start on a beat and I do a copy and paste and they get left behind because they are one tick before the beat. 

Today I was working on updating some projects with the Arranger tool.  In this case I added some additional copies of the Chorus to the end of the song in the Arranger tool and then I click Commit Arrangement.  It gives me a warning box, I think it says "We are about to wreck your project.  Are you sure you want to continue?"  No, that's a joke.  It says something else. 

I did that on 2 different songs today.  Both times I first looked at the events list immediately before and immediately after I click Commit Arrangement because I suspected this was the cause of my earlier problem.  In the first song it worked OK.  When I checked the notes again they were still on 000 tick or a similar fraction tick.  But in the second song (screenshot below) it slid every note 1 tick earlier.  I don't know why one song worked OK and the other did not.  I will go back and undo this mess and try again.

On a related note, Cakewalk's Help Desk (if you can call it that) sent me a belated email a couple of weeks ago asking for more information about this problem.  They wanted a copy of a project that had this problem.  I found one and I sent it to them.  They did whatever they did and sent me another email saying they couldn't re-create the problem but they said they would "be on the look out" for problems like this in the future.  I will send them this update, though somehow I doubt they will find the source of the problem.

Cakewalk2.jpg

8 answers to this question

Please see this thread: 

It looks like there's already a fix for this in the pipeline :) 

In the meantime, you could use the workaround that @msmcleod mentions in his reply.
IE: mark sure "Select Events with Sections" is enabled.

Edited by musekamp
more info
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if it was your support submission or a similar one, but I do remember looking into this issue and I couldn't find any way to reproduce it.

Unfortunately with these sorts of issues, until we can get a solid repro, they're almost impossible to fix.

Feel free to PM the project directly, and I can look at it again.

• Like 1

msmcleod

Thanks for the reply.  I'm doing an unusual process where I am adding a new section to all 12 of the songs on my album and what that means is I ran the Arranger on all 12 songs.  As I did that I checked the events list each time right before I committed the arrangement and then again right after.  Because I add almost all of my notes manually in snap grid that means the notes almost all have times that end in 000 or 480 or 720 or maybe 320 or 640 if I'm doing triplet time.  That makes it easy to see if the note events have moved one tick forward after the commit action.  I just finished doing all 12 songs and 3 of them had the tick nudge problem.  The other 9 worked correctly.  I can send you a CWP file or if you think it is necessary I can zip the entire folder with audio files and anything else.  Do you want me to do that and PM it to you here?  I guess I will have to add the new sections in the other 3 songs manually like we did in the old days before Arranger existed.

Regards, Steve

31 minutes ago, DallasSteve said:

msmcleod

Thanks for the reply.  I'm doing an unusual process where I am adding a new section to all 12 of the songs on my album and what that means is I ran the Arranger on all 12 songs.  As I did that I checked the events list each time right before I committed the arrangement and then again right after.  Because I add almost all of my notes manually in snap grid that means the notes almost all have times that end in 000 or 480 or 720 or maybe 320 or 640 if I'm doing triplet time.  That makes it easy to see if the note events have moved one tick forward after the commit action.  I just finished doing all 12 songs and 3 of them had the tick nudge problem.  The other 9 worked correctly.  I can send you a CWP file or if you think it is necessary I can zip the entire folder with audio files and anything else.  Do you want me to do that and PM it to you here?  I guess I will have to add the new sections in the other 3 songs manually like we did in the old days before Arranger existed.

Regards, Steve

I'll probably need the zipped folder... if you have a OneDrive or other cloud account, just upload it there and PM me the link.

Let me know if this doesn't work, and I'll PM you my email address.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DallasSteve said:

I don't know why one song worked OK and the other did not.

Possibly tempo-related? As a test you might try changing a copy of one of the problematic projects to have the same tempo as a working project and see if the issue is eliminated.

• Like 1

Musekamp

I'm glad I checked back.   I think I saw that post from msmcleod and forgot about it.  I will try to use his technique on the files that were a problem and see if it works.  I will post an update here after I do my test.

Steve

Musekamp

I just did a test with the project that first gave me the problem.  I had saved a copy earlier of the project before I tried to commit the arrangement.  This time I checked the Option "Select Events with Sections" as indicated in the post by msmcleod and that worked.  It revised the arrangement and I checked and the events were all the same time as before.  It did not slide the note events forward by one tick.  Problem solved.  I will PM msmccleod to make sure he is aware of this solution and I will try to remember to click that option whenever I am working in the Arranger.

Thanks, Steve

• Thanks 1