AudioSnap Palette sounds great until "bounce to clip"

nkeelaghan

Question

I'm trying to use AudioSnap Palette to nudge a couple of out-of-time notes in a drum recording. It works perfectly, until I'm all done. I right click the track and click "Bounce to Clip" to finish, but only then does the audio become distorted.

How do I fix this? I can't re-record this section and I'm trying to edit the waveform, but once it's processed it sounds awful.

11 answers to this question

I must say that I have recently noticed distortion and other effects on recorded bass, and that was using radius solo for bass as well as elastique pro...sometimes even rendering a different timing for adjusted clips. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I guess I'll have to resort to either manual edits or more punch-ins...

Edited by Andy

I now use Melodyne for moving notes. As long as it's a single note as I don't have the full version.

I have also done lots of note moving around using what @sjoens   described. Zoom in, split out the note and move it. I will sometimes use the fade in and out to smooth out the transition. Audio snap quantizing  has always been a total flop for me.

Edited by John Vere

The Audio Snap Palette works great if you understand the process of manipulating audio. 

I will try and be short and straight forward with this. For this to work - your timing needs to be near perfect. What i mean is: The out of time value of my recordings should not be more than a tick value of 10. Anything above this tick value will result in an awful robotic stretch waveform (I discovered this strictly on my own recordings.) 

With client files send to me, its a whole different game I need to play. First thing i need to require from them, is the bit rate the file was recorded in and the bit rate it was rendered too.

Before I import the files I change every possible sample rate on my system to the rendered bit rate. If it was rendered in 44100/16 that is what I will set my system too in windows, asio driver and project sample rate when I do the import. If it was recorded in 44100/24 or 48000/24 - that is what I will use to do the manipulation in (project file.) Don't know why, but this just works for me. If there's a simpler way, that would be great - but so far this is only method that works on my system. What you also need to know is to have your AudioSnap Palette setting to correspond with the snap setting in Preferences. If you use elastic pro or elastic efficiency - its something to remember. 

On my test machine on the other hand - it is a whole different ball game. It just dont play nice. Same version of windows, just an older generation of Focursrite and asio drivers. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 5:05 AM, Will. said:

The Audio Snap Palette works great if you understand the process of manipulating audio. 

I will try and be short and straight forward with this. For this to work - your timing needs to be near perfect. What i mean is: The out of time value of my recordings should not be more than a tick value of 10. Anything above this tick value will result in an awful robotic stretch waveform (I discovered this strictly on my own recordings.) 

Thanks for the info--I'm trying to understand, so correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that I have to move the transient by a specific value, or that it can be any value but under a specific amount? I.E., it will work fine unless I move the transient too far? Or, do I need to have the transient move set to snap-to and move a specific amount based off the sample rate?

It's still a little bit of a mystery why the manipulated clip sounds great until the clip is "bounced to." Maybe I don't understand something about audio processing?

On 4/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, scook said:

This is also helpful. Seems like a bit of guess-and-test is a useful tool. Switch algorithms, bounce to clips, listen, then undo/repeat?

14 hours ago, nkeelaghan said:

Thanks for the info--I'm trying to understand, so correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that I have to move the transient by a specific value

Yes. Something like that. It can't handle larger jumps - though, this depends on the file source itself. If its a more complex recording gentle small jumps would be required. 

14 hours ago, nkeelaghan said:

It's still a little bit of a mystery why the manipulated clip sounds great until the clip is "bounced to." 

Do you perhaps have the 64bit precision and any dithering selected in preferences.