Fourths

Wookiee

https://www.bandlab.com/the_wookiee/fourths-36c2fdfe?revId=66442b3b-f3c6-ec11-997e-28187831e8a1

Nothing staggering just something a little simple

Toys used
Cherry Audio
DreamSynth DS-1
MemoryMode

Roland Cloud
D-50
JV-1080

Toontrack
SD3 Avatar Natural tweaked
EZBass Modern
EZBass Acoustic

FX
Arturia BL-20 Flanger
Boz Digital +10dB compressor on drums and Basses
Overloud Cakewalk Breverb on Global Reverb buss

All other FX stock Cakewalk Pro Channel Quad curve EQ, Channel or Buss compressors and Tape emulation of the Busses.

• Like 1

👍's

t

did you play the drums and bass in, or are you using the Toon midi?
I find myself using the midi "drop zone" a lot in SD3 and EZD2; getting much more "realistic" results (i think/hope 🤞)
I've also found some interesting bits in EZBass dropping in the drum midi; its helping me learn to use all the keyswitches.

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

As in 'May the fourths be with you' 😉

Enjoyed that - a lot - lovely subtle drum fills and great bass track. Loved the little synth runs - great stuff.

Andy

Thank you Andy,.  No the fourths reference is more to do with which chord to progress to from the current.  I have recently spent some time reading some highly respected music theory books which resulted in this experiment.

The drums and the Bass are all hand entered but with snap off in both thus giving a much more authentic feel enhanced by my essential tremor making some placement interesting.  My hands were not up to physically playing those parts after playing the pad fill and lead parts.

• Like 1

Considering the constraints you have, you're making great music, keep it up.

The fourths as in the circle of fifths - of course - please forgive my weak attempt at some wookie related humour.

On a more serious note, those fourth intervals do make a change from the more usual musical constructs many of us have been brought up on.

I have a theory book to read, I really should dig into it.

Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

I have a theory book to read, I really should dig into it.

Only if you are having trouble sleeping :D 

Actually I progressed to the fourth which in this case as it is in C major is the subdominat F major. As the piece moves on it moves to Bmb5 , Em, Am etc. Finishing nice and dirty on the G major, oops no resolution naughty Wookiee. 

Simple but catchy tune.
David's right, it needs lyrics.
Yeah, that last chord kinda hangs there waiting for resolution. Seems strange to me how we want chords to progress in a certain order. They just sound right is the only explanation I've read.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 3:07 AM, DeeringAmps said:

👍's

t

did you play the drums and bass in, or are you using the Toon midi?
I find myself using the midi "drop zone" a lot in SD3 and EZD2; getting much more "realistic" results (i think/hope 🤞)
I've also found some interesting bits in EZBass dropping in the drum midi; its helping me learn to use all the keyswitches.

With this I hand entered the Drums & Bass as explained above to Andy. Though I do frequently make use of SD 3's MIDI which I tweak. 

Thanks for the ears and time Tom as ever it's appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:14 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

I listened to this on Bandlab whilst driving the 50 miles to my home - I really enjoyed it, so much that I listened twice 🙂

Thanks, twice eh, that's most kind.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:03 PM, bjornpdx said:

Simple but catchy tune.
David's right, it needs lyrics.
Yeah, that last chord kinda hangs there waiting for resolution. Seems strange to me how we want chords to progress in a certain order. They just sound right is the only explanation I've read.
-Bjorn

Thank you Bjorn, it might have lyrics only the ether knows if it will reveal them to me 😎.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:02 PM, Ron_Pko said:

Sounds very relaxing and pleasant. I agree  it needs lyrics! It would be very interesting to listen to it with vocals! 

Thanks nice to hear you found this pleasant and relaxing. 

On 5/3/2022 at 5:02 AM, Larry T. said:

good vibes....pleasant listen.....mix is very, very good (clarity, volumes in relationships, stereo, recorded quality) 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks good to know that the mix translated well on your system.