Investment fund of Late Microsoft's Co-founder Paul Allen invests $65M in Bandlab

JoseC

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Send a kid to piano lessons and the first thing that is taught is notation! Think on that for a minute in the mind of modern day kid.  

Funny, my BIL, as an adult wishes he learned notation. He looks at me taking lead sheets and playing like it is no big deal. He can't grasp the Chord concept.

I think basic notation should be a requirement in schools like letters and numbers. But heck we fund sport programs not music programs 😑

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I had piano lessons from 5 to 7 years old. Was taught both to play and theory/notation.  Then i studied classical guitar for a couple of years before changing to electric (circa 1969 - thank you Creedence).

I can still (60 years on) read music, play by ear etc. Read music and notation. I thank my music teachers for all that.

My son played pretty good guitar, but i could never get him to understand that notation or reading music would be beneficial for him.

I’m also for basic music theory/notation in schools (here in France or anywhere, for that matter).

J

It would be great if a compromise on notation could be made to  easily apply Chord Charts , Tab and lyrics in an easy to format template.  This would be usable for lot of contemporary genres. A full notation program is a whole different and  serious undertaking. 

• Great Idea 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:44 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Why not believe the head developer when he says the reason for the 6 month validation is because they want to know how many people are using it and want to make sure that people at least have the opportunity to get upgrades to their prestige premium product? If there were plans to take it back to payware, why have Bandlab seemingly not spent a dime on advertising or promotion to grow the user base in preparation for the big change?

While I don't think there is some big conspiracy.  The refresh requirement in practice is not necessary at all for those items the dev mentioned.

Does the refresh report back usage stats for the period, I was under the impression it didn't.  The refresh also doesn't force upgrade like a Win 10 install.  Even an offline version could prompt a one time reminder to see if updates are available.  And we all know the usage concept can phone home without a refresh since we get push notifications when a new update is available if we are connected to the internet.  The devs are bright enough to know all of this.  They simply choose to no longer offer a perpetual offline copy.  

As a lifetime updates buyer of a product that never needed this and didn't even an a connection to install and authorize it.  It might be the only real step back I've see. 

Even though I update with each release, I also install on multiple machines and have backup drives as a computer reinstall would literally take 40hrs or so with all the installs and authorizations, etc.   Those extra computers and backups become inoperable in 6 months...and out of over a thousand installs on these machines Cakewalk is the ONlY app that does that to me.  Crazy when you put it in that context.

Given it is a core app, all the more trouble some.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

The devs are bright enough to know all of this.  They simply choose to no longer offer a perpetual offline copy.

Even though Noel is the CTO (or whatever they call him), he still has bosses. They are probably the ones responsible for the free subscription model and its implementation.

While I understand (from reading accounts by level-headed people such as you), that for some it is a hassle, I'll probably never understand it myself. All of my computers are running all the time, connected to the internet. Something needs to phone home for registration or whatever, fine. If I don't use a computer for a while, then when I do sit down at it I run the updaters. I keep the main system and my notebook up to date and then do the others as needed. It's not a burden.

I've only ever been able to theorize (and based on some comments by Noel) about why Bandlab do the subscription model rather than just a one-time validation with update notices. There are plenty of ways to get that info. Maybe this was something that someone came up with off the top of their head and they stuck with it and see no reason to change. I once thought that Bandlab Assistant was never going to go away, and I was wrong on that call.

I understand the fear of Bandlab going casters-up and no longer being able to validate Cakewalk activations. It's happened before and it can happen again. I also understand that if that happened, and they didn't offer permanent licenses for existing users, some clever person would come up with a way around it.

At the very least, I could keep setting my computer's system clock back.

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I understand the fear of Bandlab going casters-up and no longer being able to validate Cakewalk activations. It's happened before and it can happen again. I also understand that if that happened, and they didn't offer permanent licenses for existing users, some clever person would come up with a way around it.

At the very least, I could keep setting my computer's system clock back.

In addition to the hassles this is the major problem that I see with all software that needs an online connection for authorization! And we all know that any Windows or hardware changes can cause the requirement for authorization renewal of many products. That's why I love all my Daws and plugins that have some kind of REAL offline activation (or even no activation required)!