McDSP May Sale

cclarry

8 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Only one license with these guys too which puts me off them a little... I had been considering picking up one or two of their plugins, but I'm not a fan of that..

Yes, this made me hesitant to use them frequently even if I'm mostly on one machine and not my laptop much in practice.

However they just released v7 which includes 2 ilok activations per license.

But v7 is a paid upgrade. Some users seem a bit upset at some aspects of this: they held M1 compatibility behind it, it costs $29 per plugin, and there is limited loyalty discount for upgrading multiple plugins, gearspace is suggesting it starts at 10% off if you upgrade at least 5 plugins.

In my case upgrades for 3 of my 4 purchased mcdsp plugins would cost more than what I paid for the plugins originally.

note this doesn't affect the deal the original post is talking about; those would probably be v7 licenses from the start

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pollux said:

and no upgrade paths. I have the ultimate channel strip and I cannot upgrade to the ultimate module collection

The ultimate moduel was at 49 (99-50%) in jan ...(if you own the delay if i recall well) even at that price i skipped it and glad i did , this sale was to trap people just before v7 it seems ...as for ultimate channels no big deal but for other stuff , new gui;would have been welcomed ....

14 hours ago, mister_tea said:

Yes, this made me hesitant to use them frequently even if I'm mostly on one machine and not my laptop much in practice.

However they just released v7 which includes 2 ilok activations per license.

But v7 is a paid upgrade. Some users seem a bit upset at some aspects of this: they held M1 compatibility behind it, it costs $29 per plugin, and there is limited loyalty discount for upgrading multiple plugins, gearspace is suggesting it starts at 10% off if you upgrade at least 5 plugins.

In my case upgrades for 3 of my 4 purchased mcdsp plugins would cost more than what I paid for the plugins originally.

note this doesn't affect the deal the original post is talking about; those would probably be v7 licenses from the start

That's interesting. I didn't know that about the change to 2 licenses in V7. With even some of these old guys and Waves at least providing 2 licenses while WUP is active, hopefully we're almost past the single license days..

That's pretty crappy about the M1 support. Probably not alone there, but most companies I've seen just provided updates for free.

Shame about the update prices too.. some companies just really don't know how to reward loyal customers!

17 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Never cared for McDSP's business practices and prefer to give my business to other developers. 

That's somewhat the feeling I've had.. but I did wonder about some of their "Ultimate" strips, or EQ, or Compressors, as you get quite a few options to use different flavours in the same plugin.

But they seem like one of those companies that was overpriced and stuck back in the ways when there were few quality competitors.

Luckily these current sale prices for them don't tempt me anyway 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MusicMan said:

That's somewhat the feeling I've had.. but I did wonder about some of their "Ultimate" strips, or EQ, or Compressors, as you get quite a few options to use different flavours in the same plugin.

I bought the ultimate channel strip during a sale, never really used it. I didn't find any actual difference with Slate's VMR or IK's mixbox.

I found these handy when you don't really know what you're looking for, so you can easily move things around and change stuff or load multi FX presets. But most of the time I end up with my usual go-to plugins

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pollux said:

I bought the ultimate channel strip during a sale, never really used it. I didn't find any actual difference with Slate's VMR or IK's mixbox.

I found these handy when you don't really know what you're looking for, so you can easily move things around and change stuff or load multi FX presets. But most of the time I end up with my usual go-to plugins

That's kind of what I do now! I have IK and quite like it, but I tend to cherry pick specific compressors, EQs, effects, etc.

I just thought it might be a good way of getting a taste for theirs. Although last time I looked at it, I also saw the PSP one and I really like some of their stuff.

Thanks for sharing those perspectives.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, still very much into Slate Digital when I’m not using FabFilter. But the PSP strip looks pretty damn interesting too. 

The PSP does look good 🙂 I don't use Slate really, so can't comment too much there, but as for Fabfilter, I do think they're a bit overpriced, but I also really enjoy them as well. They're all very good options..