Disaster Strikes!!!

cclarry

My 50" TV/Monitor went out...so waiting on the replacement now...should be here this afternoon!
Didn't want to buy a new screen, but we do what we must🤢  I won that one and got 5 years out of it,
so that's pretty good!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Larry Shelby said:

43" LG 4K...my 50" was a 4K also...free same day delivery and got it for $300

Nice! 43 should be plenty big and cheap enough 🙂

1 hour ago, Larry Shelby said:

The 50" was too big for my little room...but it was free so I couldn't complain

Indeed ! 😃

• Like 1

I'm on 43" now @2560x1440. If I go to 3840x2160 everything is too danged small.

I'd love to use two 43" (one for track view & one for console view) but the only way I could do that is to have them stacked and then I'd need an elevator to see the one on top.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

My 50" TV/Monitor went out...so waiting on the replacement now...should be here this afternoon!
Didn't want to buy a new screen, but we do what we must🤢  I won that one and got 5 years out of it,
so that's pretty good!

Was it new when you won it?  

The life expencentency of a TV these days (outside of off brands) should be way over 5 years unless you are running it for 10+ hours a day all day long.

3 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I'd love to use two 43" (one for track view & one for console view) but the only way I could do that is to have them stacked and then I'd need an elevator to see the one on top.

I'd use 1080P for regular use, and only switch to 4K for watching movies or the VERY RARE video game

12 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

The life expencentency of a TV these days (outside of off brands) should be way over 5 years unless you are running it for 10+ hours a day all day long.

That's what worries me. I have a 10 year old Samsung 40" 1080P that just keeps on ticking. Until it doesn't... 🤨

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's what worries me. I have a 10 year old Samsung 40" 1080P that just keeps on ticking. Until it doesn't... 🤨

But even if it did, you would probably be getting a bigger and better TV for about $300 or less (brand new).  It isn't like the investment cost it was 15 years ago where you were looking at $1500+ for something large enough to look at.  

Not that anyone ever wants to spend money for something you already have, but realistically you would be looking at an upgrade and at not a significant cost.  Honestly on NextDoor I got something way better than that for $50.

Now an actual computer monitor of that size...that is different those are still expensive.  

4 hours ago, Bapu said:

Have you tried setting it to the full resolution and increasing the scaling percentage accordingly? (eg if you're currently on 100% try 150%)

Everything should be the same size but a little bit clearer, unless there's anything that ignores the scaling settings and remains tiny. I think Windows 10 is pretty good with the DPI scaling nowadays. 

I'm actually using an Nvidia 3d anti aliasing option called "DSR - Factors" at 3x to run a virtual resolution of 4434x1871 which sort of fakes the appearance of those extra pixels, it's a lot like the look of old iMacs  before they went hi res. My monitor is a 34 inch ultra wide 2560x1080 and I wish I had extra pixels lol. I need a new PC before I get a new monitor though. So I have the scale of 150% set in Windows Display settings to bring things back to a usable size. 

Edited by Craig N
Fixing weird phone spacing glitches - Added some extra details at the same time

8 hours ago, cclarry said:

so that's pretty good!

You re missing nothing on tv ;)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Craig N said:

Have you tried setting it to the full resolution and increasing the scaling percentage accordingly? (eg if you're currently on 100% try 150%)

Everything should be the same size but a little bit clearer, unless there's anything that ignores the scaling settings and remains tiny. I think Windows 10 is pretty good with the DPI scaling nowadays. 

I'm actually using an Nvidia 3d anti aliasing option called "DSR - Factors" at 3x to run a virtual resolution of 4434x1871 which sort of fakes the appearance of those extra pixels, it's a lot like the look of old iMacs  before they went hi res. My monitor is a 34 inch ultra wide 2560x1080 and I wish I had extra pixels lol. I need a new PC before I get a new monitor though. So I have the scale of 150% set in Windows Display settings to bring things back to a usable size. 

IIRC Previous version of ProTools would get wonky full resolution. Mainly the text menu bar. Studio One, Reaper and MIxbus 32c  was fine.

Maybe I'll give your idea a try at my next mixing session.

• Like 1