Midi not recording

Thomas Roller

A new project I'm working on has recently stopped recording. midi.   I insert a  soft synth track and then choose an East West instrument.  I play my keyboard and the instrument plays. fine.  However, when I try to record the part the midi does not record.   I hear the keyboard as I'm playing but the midi information doesn't track on the screen.  I do hear it playing, though.  Audio records and works as it is supposed to. 

This problem is only happening on this particular project.    The midi records fine if I start a new project.  And my old midi projects work fine.  

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Was going to suggest ye golden olde problem: Punch region is set further out in the timeline.

But if audio recording is working in the same region where MIDI recording is failing, that would not be it.

Cannot think of any other config issue that would have MIDI being echoed but not recorded unless possibly another track is doing the echoing and the armed track has the wrong Input port/channel assignment...?

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

unless possibly another track is doing the echoing and the armed track has the wrong Input port/channel assignment...?

My suggestion too. Why CbB keeps doing this is a mystery. 

4 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I'm not sure what that's referring to...?  

Well, exactly as it reads above. 

Why it keeps happening is a mystery. You insert a track close that protect a day later it echoes through another. I've had it happened many times. Trust me it is not user error.  It just happens. 

3 hours ago, Will. said:

You insert a track close that protect a day later it echoes through another. I've had it happened many times. Trust me it is not user error.  It just happens. 

Maybe not user error, but not universally experienced, either,  so won't get fixed until you can find a recipe and share it with the Bakers. Not likely the OPs' issue in any case.

I know there are a lot of posts about soft synth port assignments changing when hardware ports go missing (arguably user error) or, similarly, when soft synths change the number of ports they present to the host (not ideal). But that problem will resolve itself when the missing ports are restored so long as you don't save the project in the bad state. Other than that, I am not aware of any confirmed issues with CbB's handling of MIDI ports that aren't 'just how it works', like inputs getting assigned to Omni when you have Always Echo enabled and don't deliberately assign a specific port and channel.

But, enough hijacking of this thread. If you have a recipe that's even somewhat repeatable - and not synth-specific - you should post it to the Feedback forum.