Midas M32r recording to Cakewalk

Tom Jacobs

Update

I had a 2+ hr remote meeting with the DAW builder yesterday, he couldn't figure it out either I have to send the DAW back in for repairs.

we were able to recreate all of my issues with all of my audio interfaces, and both of us agreed, we've never heard or seen anything like this in our combined  50+ years working with DAWS. Seems to be some sort of buffering issue between the USB and the Thunderbolt ports and/or the motherboard, 

thanks for all of the thoughts and suggestions, after a few years of being out of the recording business (I've been stage managing and setting up audio for festivals and concert venues.) I am coming back to Studio and live recording. I have been building a new room in a video studio, to add multitrack audio as an option https://islandstationmedialab.com/  The Audio section needs updating because I just bought a whole bunch of gear.

I must say this version of CW is great. I have been using X2 since it came out{been using CW products since 98, this was the last version I got for beta testing, I was on the X3 and X4 team but did not test enough to get the updates{this was my transition from studio to live production}.  nice to see some of the things I like about this DAW {and suggested} still in there. I am at times forced to us ProTools and or Adobe Premire pro for mixing, and I don't like it, every time I ask 'How do you do this...., I get the answer oh you can't do that but here is another way.... 10 minutes later it happens, then I say in Sonar it's this key command,,,,

Noel, if you read this thank you

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Hey all.

I think we finally got this issue sorted, turns out it was a faultily audio amplifying chip  on the motherboard and how winnows 11 handled it(it didn't happen in 10, and thats what took so long for the builder to find out what was causing the problem.
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, it helped me get reacquainted with working with a DAW

Tom

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2022 at 6:11 AM, Michael Vogel said:

Glad you got it sorted. Just as well you had a switched on DAW builder to work with. They were clearly able to do things we couldn’t begin to suggest. 

Me too it was a long troubleshoot. and no we/I would have never been able to diagnose that, the faulty chip was adding gain to any audio source coming in and/or out in windows 11 but not 10, meaning even though I was using external audio interface's the onboard sound chip was adding gain to all "audio signals" at every stage during the in and out and possibly trying to be the clock master , at least that's how I understand what they told me what was the cause of the warbly clipping static noises during recording.

I do have to give props to PC Audio Labs, I'm a difficult client when my stuff doesn't work, and as soon as the figured out I had done my research about the problem they were most attentive when I would make suggestions on what to look for.  I wasn't happy that I got a faulty DAW, but now that it is as "advertised" this DAW/M32 combo  is amazing

My live recording rig, this was the first outing for the repaired DAW (on the right), it worked flawlessly, I didn't, I went to turn off the metronome while recording but not being used to the new GUI (for me) i stopped recording, the transport kept going, as expected I use that feature to be able to turn on and off recording.  I lost about 45 seconds of the first song. Thankfully the redundant SD card recording in the M32 was rolling.

It's nice to be pushing faders again instead of cases

thanks again for everyone's help

Tom

0001 Choir.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...