Tracktion Waveform Pro 12 - Upgrade from Waveform Pro 11

cclarry

1 hour ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Not that much in awe with their new upgrade pricing. 

37 minutes ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

This company has a terrible policy with its updates.

I much prefer Cakewalk by Bandlab's approach to upgrades. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

This company has a terrible policy with its updates. All or most companies allow you to update from many previous versions. It is painful.

i think they used to have upgrades from previous versions too. It's only with  V12 that they suddenly only allow upgrades from 11 to 12

I have Waveform 11 Pro, but see no compelling reason to upgrade it.

The MIDI pattern generators were the original reason for me to get Waveform. They are handy and fun to play with, but Tracktion's lack of written documentation on new features is an issue. Have to watch videos to learn them. Ugh! 🙄

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Clint Martin said:

I'm still on Waveform 9. I haven't seen anything in 10, 11 or 12 to make me want to upgrade.

I think 9 was a worthwhile upgrade. I skipped 10, and then upgraded to 11 to support the developers. They are very innovative and have found an interesting DAW niche for creative musicians, rather than recording engineers. But under the hood, the program is really deep, and if you master the racks system you will have very flexible routing abilities.

At the time of my last upgrade, the devs still seemed committed to update the documentation. But on a recent Tracktion live-stream, Woody admitted that as a very small company, they do not currently have the resources to hire a full time tech writer.  They acknowledge that it is lacking. But this is the only software product that I own that does not have at least basic documentation for the many included features.

Makes me sad because this is a decent DAW, but as a now and then tool for me, I need an up-to-date feature manual that I can flip open as needed. Trying to find answers scattered among dozens of videos is time consuming and easily zaps any inspiration I may have had. But they seem to think that is what the majority of their user base prefers. 😢

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I think 9 was a worthwhile upgrade. I skipped 10, and then upgraded to 11 to support the developers. They are very innovative and have found an interesting DAW niche for creative musicians, rather than recording engineers. But under the hood, the program is really deep, and if you master the racks system you will have very flexible routing abilities.

At the time of my last upgrade, the devs still seemed committed to update the documentation. But on a recent Tracktion live-stream, Woody admitted that as a very small company, they do not currently have the resources to hire a full time tech writer.  They acknowledge that it is lacking. But this is the only software product that I own that does not have at least basic documentation for the many included features.

Makes me sad because this is a decent DAW, but as a now and then tool for me, I need an up-to-date feature manual that I can flip open as needed. Trying to find answers scattered among dozens of videos is time consuming and easily zaps any inspiration I may have had. But they seem to think that is what the majority of their user base prefers. 😢

I hate reference  and howto videos. I don't want to sit through pointless nattering and long winded intros to get to the meat. Give me something to read!!!

• Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Not that much in awe with their new upgrade pricing. 

Especially since there doesn't seem to be an upgrade path from anything before 11 anymore

Which makes it easy for me not to spend money on a DAW I never use.