Unfreeze Track Wipes Audio

DallasSteve

Question

I have an audio track that I had frozen and I want to Unfreeze it to do some more work on it.  When I hit unfreeze the track unfreezes, but the audio clip disappears.

Before I froze the track I added Melodyne to the Audio FX and I processed the vocals with it.  I froze the track and then I removed Melodyne from the FX bin.  I can't hit Undo because that was months ago and I have closed and re-opened the file.   I tried re-adding Melodyne to the FX bin and I transferred the audio back to Melodyne but when I click Unfreeze the clip still disappears.

So it looks like the clip is "hosed" but I wonder is there a workaround.  Can I bounce the sound to a new audio track that is not frozen and work on it there?

6 answers to this question

You don’t put Melodyne in an effect bin. You open it as a Regional effect and when finished you render it. You only had your issues because of doing the process in an unorthodox manner See tutorial #27 for correct use of Melodyne 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Another thing to bear in mind....

When a clip is frozen, a backup of the original clip is kept at it's original location.

In most cases, moving / editing a frozen clip around will not move or affect the original clip.  There are some exceptions, like Ripple Edit All and some Arranger operations, but as general rule, when you unfreeze, the original clip will be re-instated in its original position.

So basically - if at all possible, avoid edit operations with frozen clips.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

John Vere

What you describe is probably the source of the original problem.  I am no longer working with Melodyne because I think Waves Ovox does a much better job of pitch correcting my vocals.  But on that note, I am putting Waves Ovox in the audio effects bin.  I'm not doing the Region FX with it.  Is that wrong?  It seems to be working for me.

Thanks, Steve

14 hours ago, DallasSteve said:

I am no longer working with Melodyne because I think Waves Ovox does a much better job of pitch correcting my vocals.  

Huh?!

Waves ovox is a vocoder - not a pitch correction plugin. You really need to watch some videos on how to use Melodyne in cakewalk, or just in general. But what do I know, right? 

1 hour ago, Will. said:

Huh?!

Waves ovox is a vocoder - not a pitch correction plugin. You really need to watch some videos on how to use Melodyne in cakewalk, or just in general. But what do I know, right? 

Will

Yes, Ovox is a vocoder, but it also has pitch correction using MIDI notes, which works well for me.  I attached a screenshot.  First you have to Enable MIDI Input in the VST3 drop down.  Then you have to set Note Source to MIDI and finally Correction to Notes.  You also need to raise the Voice dial to hear the original voice.  It works great for me.  I have done pitch correction with both Melodyne and Ovox and for me the difference is huge.  I am delighted with the result in Ovox.  I feel like I wasted $100 on Melodyne, but sadly that's not the biggest waste of money I've ever made.  🙂  I think there are other ways to do pitch correction in Ovox, but this is how I like to work.  Fine tuning the MIDI notes to the sung notes is an art and time consuming.  I'm available to do that (but not for free).

Steve

Cakewalk2.jpg