Program delay after stopping transport

john Seibel

Question

Recently,... whenever I hit the transport (record or play) and then stop, Cakewalk takes about 7 seconds before Cakewalk will allow me to do anything . It's as if the whole program is delaying so it can write something to the drive.  Since I'm all SSD, this kind of delay doesn't make sense. This has started happening in the last 3 months.  I can't figure out why.

While playing, I can skip backwards or forwards with no delay. As soon as I hit stop...it does....something for about 7 seconds. 

It's making Cakewalk unusable. 

Anyone got an answer???

11 answers to this question

On 4/24/2022 at 8:36 AM, john Seibel said:

Recently,... whenever I hit the transport (record or play) and then stop, Cakewalk takes about 7 seconds before Cakewalk will allow me to do anything . It's as if the whole program is delaying so it can write something to the drive.  Since I'm all SSD, this kind of delay doesn't make sense. This has started happening in the last 3 months.  I can't figure out why.

While playing, I can skip backwards or forwards with no delay. As soon as I hit stop...it does....something for about 7 seconds. 

It's making Cakewalk unusable. 

Anyone got an answer???

Just mentioning I'm here looking for the solution to the same problem, which also started recently.  I would have thought maybe 1-2 months ago but could be 3.  At first, for quite a while, I assumed it was due to a specific plugin in a project as for quite a while I was working on just that, then as I moved on to other things I realized it just happens all the time.  

At least for me, it's still playing audio for about those 7 seconds when I press stop, then the audio stops after 7 seconds and control returns to UI.

No issues with recording or such; I don't recall changing any parameters.

Edited by Wilson Zorn
additional information
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, John Vere said:

Things you can do

Run Latency Monitor and check if your system is OK for audio streaming. 
Turn off the internet and see what happens 

3rd party anti virus?  

I tried some latency stuff... This isn't a latency issue. The program literally pauses for 7 seconds every time the transport stopes (playback or record).... I did lower the latency by lowering the number of samples to 256.  Internet disconnect doesn't help.

Edited by john Seibel
internet

The other thing that John mentioned is a good place to look too: antivirus. 

If you haven't excluded your audio directory, every time you stop the transport, your AV may be being over-enthusiastic and treating the audio files as modified and scanning them.

• Great Idea 1

Can you give a bit of info about your system? Version and build number.  CPU, Ram, audio interface. Driver mode (ASIO or WASAPI)?

Are sample rates consistent between all audio programs and windows.

Has Windows updates borked your hardware drivers (I have told my Windows never to do this for quality updates)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Maybe reinstall your hardware drivers (other hardware as well as audio interface). Do this by actually going to the respective manufacturer's websites rather than relying on Windows updates.

Note: I have never has this particular issue.

On 4/25/2022 at 6:10 PM, Lord Tim said:

The other thing that John mentioned is a good place to look too: antivirus. 

If you haven't excluded your audio directory, every time you stop the transport, your AV may be being over-enthusiastic and treating the audio files as modified and scanning them.

I'm only using windows defender.... I can't seem to find where that exclusion would be.

Any insight???