Notes in Piano Roll View are grayed out

If they are not selected notes they will be grayed out. You can still edit them though. For a test, go to track view and select the clip. The notes in Piano Roll should now be highlighted and not gray. If you scroll away from those selected notes in the clip, they will be gray.

• Like 1

Show the Tracks pane via the View menu or dragging the splitter from the right side of the PRV and select the track you want to edit. If you drag across multiple track numbers, the first one you click will be focused and the others will show as gray. There are more options for managing multiple tracks. Definitely an area you will want to review the documentation:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=EditingMIDI.03.html

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen. So I have my view split between Track and PRV. I'm selecting the track I want to edit in PRV by double clicking on the track, and it comes up gray and clear in PRV. There is no other track assigned to this MIDI channel. Also, in event view, some of the events in this track are showing in gray font. I can still edit these events, but I'm wondering what's going on. 

I will review the documentation you recommended, David. 

4 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I’m seeing a bunch of duplicate notes ? 

This is what the event view looks like. They don't seem to be exact duplicates.

Ah! I think it's because I have MIDI Omni, and I have two MIDI input channels selected, and perhaps one input is echoing into the other, I don't know how. When I choose just one MIDI input and play my keyboard controller, the notes show normal.

2022-04-24 (2).png

Yep 2 things that keep me out of trouble with recording midi. Always select my controller as the input. And I also only use Overwrite mode. 
I will use Sound on sound only for adding drum parts. But even then that’s only when I’m confident I can play it through easily with out many errors. Otherwise I’ll create a fresh midi track and then drag it to merge once edited. 

• Like 1