automation ghost

Heb Gnawd

Hello,

I have no idea what triggered this. I was smooth sailing up until this morning automating levels yesterday. At first I thought I couldn't delete automation because deleting the envelope maintained an automated control which I couldn't override by re-writing. But the problem exists on all tracks in all projects. Its not the previous automation that’s controlling the level its more like a lock at the initial position. Whatever the track volume level is set at when I delete the envelope will create a new automation at that level that cant be removed, so as I write the track whatever changes I make immediately rebound back to the initial level.

I ‘m hoping this is just a configuration error, some box unchecked or checked that shouldn't be, but this may be a symptom of a larger issue. I just as suddenly started experiencing insufficient memory for midi ports which standard remedies have not solved. To keep this simple I wont detail that problem here but it feels like cakewalk is having trouble with its memory.

Here is a screen capture

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

If you have not recorded volume or any other automation attribute, then when you display the automation, it will always create a single straight line of automation set at the current level/value of the automated attribute.

In your case, as an example, if the volume is set at -INF, you will get an automation curve (line) at -INF when you first display the automation curve.

Edited by billp

I am away from home so I can’t confirm the exact dialogue but the option you used is not what I use to clear the whole automation lane. It’s closer to the bottom and is something like delete everything 

The whole green line will disappear when used. 

Thanks for responding

then when you display the automation, it will always create a single straight line

Yes , thank you that was it!   Its one or the other not both.  I guess Cakewalk assumes that if you've displayed  the track its to operate manually.   I was caught in a strange loop,  the more trouble I had the more likely I was to open the automation track to see what was happening.  The line is created simply by displaying the track. Its hard to believe that in over 20 years of Cakewalk I have never had the automation track open at the same time I was mixing... but there you go!

It’s closer to the bottom and is something like delete everything 

I believe the "clear all " command removes the nodes and the "delete envelope" removes the line ( but notice it closes the display also becasue opening it creates the line!!!)

thanks