Saving Clips/Sections For Later

Sub to Lambfire

Question

I'm new to composing and haven't figured out my workflow yet, so when I start a new project I just kinda throw in what is on my mind. The only problem with this is that I often compose the chorus of my song before the intro and sometimes I want to add a section between 2 sections. So I was wondering if there was any way to save a section for later, like for example if I compose the chorus first but want a the intro and the first verse before it. I most likely won't be able to rely on copy pasting it since I will probably end up turning off my computer or copy pasting other things. If this isn't a feature I'm missing in Cakewalk then how do people typically get around this?

2 answers to this question

This is what the arranger is for.

Create an arranger section covering your chorus.  You can then record an intro after it, or a verse in whatever order you want - then create an arranger section covering each section.

Once you've got your sections recorded, drag the sections within the Arranger Inspector to an arrangement. You can preview it to see if it works - if it does, committing the arrangement will re-arrange the project to match your arrangement.  You can also create multiple arrangements to test each one out to see which works best before committing.

The example below is just using one track, but it'll work with a complete project with any number of tracks:

ArrangerExample.gif

Check out the Arranger track: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.02.html

When I write, I do pretty much exactly that - work out a tempo, pull up a metronome, then go off and record my riff/backing ideas in sections. Then I define an Arranger Track section for that part. Once I get a bunch of these done, you can go to the Arranger Inspector and put them in whatever order you like. It's *extremely* quick to build up a song structures this way, or even play with multiple structure since nothing is locked in until you commit the arrangement. :) 

Edited by Lord Tim