Why Are Some Notes Silent?

DallasSteve

Question

I have a line I'm working on in Piano Roll View (shown below).  Of the 8 white notes below the 2 that I highlighted in red are silent.  I checked the event list and I don't see anything special about them.   I double clicked on of them and it shows a velocity of 117 like the others.  What else could I check to solve this mystery?

Cakewalk1.jpg

Edited by DallasSteve

2 answers to this question

I did some more testing and found that if I moved the silent note up or down it sounded, but at that position no sound.

Then I played some more and found that the note before it overlapped the 1/8 note boundary by a few ticks.  If I moved the previous note back a few ticks or shortened its duration then the silent note sounded.  So the note overlapped it and caused it to be silent.  Is that the correct behavior for Cakewalk?

I did one more test.  Its output was assigned to the SI-Bass synth.  So I switched to the Cakewalk TTS synth and it sounded when overlapped.  It appears the glitch may be in the SI-Bass synth.  Very quirky.

It's a little odd that SI Bass is programmed that way, but I would say in general it's a best practice not to overlap notes on the same note number. I've encountered a number of synths over the years that don't handle that well - usually when playing third-party MIDI files as my own are always recorded from a keyboard in real time and a keyboard will never generate overlapping notes on the same note number.

• Like 1