Scarlett 2i2 metronome routing to headphones

Gera

Question

Hello,

my scarlett 2i2 (or windows) doesnt recognize my headphones, altough they are working through direct monitoring. Therefore cakewalk doesnt give me the option to route the metronome to only headphones, which is unhandy. Does someone has a clue how to fix this issue? 

Greetings Gera

3 answers to this question

The Scarlett is a two-channel channel device (2in-2out). There is not a separate Windows/Device channel for the Scarlett headphone out. The headphone audio is determined within the Scarlett. 

In order to hear the Cakewalk metronome,  set the Metronome channel output to Master (there are other ways to do this too).  Remember to mute the metronome channel when  mixing.    

I believe the 2i2 allows the DAW (i.e. Cakewalk) output to be mixed directly with the Scarlett input channel(s) using the 2i2 "Direct Monitor" switch (for low-latency audio).   As an alternative to "Direct Monitor" --  depending on your setup and how much latency can be tolerated -- the  input can be  monitored by enabling input echo on the Cakewalk channel.  You will  want to disable 2i2 direct monitor for this scenario.

I have a Scarlett 2i4, but I believe  this applies to the 2i2 also.

See this Cakewalk forum topic for tutorials for more details.  In that topic,  @John Vere  has tutorials for audio and metronome setup.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tom B
  • Like 1

Also, if the headphones are USB and the Scarlett is using the recommended Focusrite ASIO audio driver, you can't.
You would have to change the driver mode in Cakewalk to WDM/KS, or MME or WASAPI, but then you would have a delay (latency) from the time something is played to the time you hear that sound. That kinda defeats the purpose of a metronome.
In any case, more info on how you're routing things and what your headphones and driver mode are would help us help you.

In my tutorials I always recommend people go to the support page for whatever gear they bought. Every interface is different. 
Most have very clear instructions on set up and use. 
Focusrite not only has great tutorials they have over $300 worth of free goodies. 

• Great Idea 1