"Cannot find or open file" Error w/ Melodyne

jeff s

Question

I started getting the error message when using Melodyne. It always appears when making a new region with Melodyne.  When I click OK, the error message goes away and the files are present and work as usual.  It also started popping up when opening a project that has Melodyne employed but not rendered.  It's more of an annoyance than anything.  I'm suspecting that another plug-in might be conflicting with it but that's just a guess.  I have the latest CbB version and use Melodyne 5 Editor .......Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_5715.jpg

7 answers to this question

Over time users have come up with best practices 

1. work with short clips

2. always Render each clip as you work.  
3. Save the project right away. 
4. Melodyne is a destructive editing tool so best to have a safety copy of the original. 

There’s no reason not to render before moving on. You can always re apply the regional effect to the clip later. 
See video #27

Edited by John Vere

Have you updated Melodyne since you saved those projects? 

When you have un-committed Melodyne Region FX in a project, the Melodyne state is stored within the project folder.  The state files are binary files grabbed directly from Melodyne.  Sometimes updating Melodyne to a newer version will make those files incompatible - AFAIK, they don't guarantee backwards compatibility with their state files.

The best practice is always to render your Melodyne effects.  You can always copy and archive your tracks before you apply Melodyne if you want to go back to its previous state.

I have seen this and never figured out why either. After closing it there is no indication of any problem with anything. I always render my melodyne work and haven’t upgraded it in years it seems. Using studio 5. So I just close it and move on. 

Thanks for the replies :)

I upgraded to Melodyne 5 Studio last June 2021 (not Editor as I previously stated) and this " error" *just* started showing up recently.  Since that upgrade, I have added a few new plug-ins which is why I suspected a potential conflict.  I may try to reinstall Melodyne and see if that helps.  Currently, I do what Treesha said  ("close it and move on") but it's kinda of unprofessional when a client is sitting next to you during a session using Melodyne and keeps seeing the error.  As John mentioned, I do use short clips and render afterwards most of the time but this "error" occurs when I insert it on a clip and after I render it, so it's 2x per use.  So you can imaging how many times it can occur during a vocal tuning session...

I opened a service ticket with Celemony and will follow up if we make any progress... here's their initial reply:

Dear Jeff,

This is Rob at the Celemony Technical Support for Melodyne. Thanks for reaching out!

when I insert Melodyne on a region

Do you use Melodyne as an ARA or as a Transfer plug-in?

Cakewalk error "Cannot find or open file". 

Yes, this is a Cakewalk Error message, not from Melodyne.

Have you heard of this or have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

We have never heard about such an issue, so we can't say anything yet. As our regular tests with CbB also do not show such issues, it would be helpful to send us one session in question so that we can investigate on the session itself. It would help us to nail down your issue better if you could send the files via Dropbox, Wetransfer or Google Drive and send the link where we can download the files as a reply to this e-mail. Please remember that for a requested session all files incl. audio files of the project are needed.

Best,
Rob

--

Robert Schröder
Celemony Technical Support

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1