KORG Collection sale - up to 50% off

ALC

34 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I still have the coupon codes. When I attempt to use them it says I am already registered and can't use the codes again. I take the migration code, go to Korg ID, use that code on their purchase page as the instructional video indicated. Says I already used the code. They are correct. I used it before when I migrated in 2018.

Probably something I could clear up with an email, but like the BFD snafu I don't have the time for it right now. Maybe later. Until then I have plenty of synths. My existing Korg products are indeed updated,  in my computer.  These are apparently Japanese products same as the original hardware. I'm guessing they might have subbed someone out to handle English operations hence the British accented instructional video. I'm guessing things somehow were misplaced or lost between websites which for me, isn't a very good way to start off with new Korg products.

Sound pretty frustrating.

It wasn't until I ran the KORG Software Pass Installer that I was able to register (and then install) my products.  But I understand your situation that fixing it may not provide much benefit if what you have already works (assuming Windows).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALC said:

Sound pretty frustrating.

It wasn't until I ran the KORG Software Pass Installer that I was able to register (and then install) my products.  But I understand your situation that fixing it may not provide much benefit if what you have already works (assuming Windows).

It was slightly frustrating but I tell myself these are third world problems. Thanks for your help.

I  downloaded software pass installer pass prior. Makes me wonder how something that could be so simple ends up being so convoluted??

Reminds me of the problem space astronauts had with a writing device in space. The US wanted to spend 1 million researching a special device.

The Russians  used a pencil.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, Ric said:

Same here. Pianos too.

I was busy and somehow let this go by.  

I have over 700 pianos and it's not enough  And that's just the felt ones.  I'm exaggerating (somewhat), but I am a piano addict.

I don't mean to threaten our dear @Simeon Amburgey and his mission to find a virtual piano for every home in the world, but at a certain point if you can't make a music with a dozen pianos, maybe the issue is not the pianos. 

In the past I tried to create templates of all my instruments so I would know the full breadth of my collection, but lately I have been trying to pare down.  I'm trying to have as few instruments available at one time.  Just make music with a limited palette. So I will try to be done with pianos and will wait awhile before getting more synths.  I admit I have dreamed of the Korg Collection for a long time.  I wanted Triton alone when it was $199 (!!!)

But I do know I will buy larger collections like Komplete Ultimate CE, Total Studio, etc., and there are bound to be more pianos, synths, and other things I don't need.

What I will always be open are the creations of imaginative developers like Ben Osterhouse, Evolution Series, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On Pianos-

Disclaimer-These are all my own personal opinions and may not be supported by Scientific American or anyone else on the Cakewalk forum.

I am reluctant to say this, well ok, not really. I think Korg has the worst pianos of any synth maker. Their dreamy piano patches and pads are nice for many mixes, but their pianos stand alone just suck IMHO. Especially compared to the other current offerings out there. I would NEVER be buying Korg for their piano sounds. IK pianos blow their britches right off, the Yamaha is to die for.

I have all the pianos in Komplete,  Addictive Keys. They seem to be hidden in programs everywhere since so many libraries have at least one or two pianos in them. I have several Spitfire pianos. I have the lowly bottom munchers in Korg M-1. Several other orchestral libraries that include a piano blah blah blah. This doesn't include the pianos in my hardware synths. The new felt piano in Cubase 12 Halion is a nice felt.  Not anything extraordinary over the free felt Spitfire offers. Felt pianos seem to be a competitive market. Everyone went the other way after they heard the painful intensity of the Korgs. " We need something softer, my brain is still rattling". Big difference between a rompler and a sampled piano.

My favorite piano so far was quite a surprise. This piano sounds very realistic and fits perfectly in many mixes. Also shines stand alone. The bad news is I'm not sure how healthy the company is and I think it's still VST2. As long as it works on my system I'll keep using it. The piano? The SONiVOX Eighty Eight.  

The thing about vst pianos in general is there are so many ways they can be manipulated to change their personality, so an initial impression of a sampled piano may not be the best impression. Always pays to play with the settings to get what you're after. I did play with the setting in the M-1 piano though. It's either cheesy, cheesier or cheesiest.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I did play with the setting in the M-1 piano though. It's either cheesy, cheesier or cheesiest.

In all fairness, the M-1 piano is from the late 90's late 80's, and was usable in a mix back in its day. And if producers needed to record a real piano, they probably got a real piano!

But compared with modern sampled and modeled piano's - - yep, the M-1's piano is nostalgic cheese!

But I will say the the pianos in the Triton Extreme are in a different class. Much nicer, but I still wouldn't buy the Triton just for its pianos either. What is truly useful is using piano in layers with up to 7 other sounds in Triton Combi's to create original piano pads, textures, and splits with overall excellent sound quality.

Edit: I mis-typed the year for the M-1. It was actually from the late 80's. Fixed! So there is actually more like a 2 decade difference in sound technology between the M-1 and Triton.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, abacab said:

In all fairness, the M-1 piano is from the late 90's, and was usable in a mix back in its day. And if producers needed to record a real piano, they probably got a real piano!

But compared with modern sampled and modeled piano's - - yep, the M-1's piano is nostalgic cheese!

But I will say the the pianos in the Triton Extreme are in a different class. Much nicer, but I still wouldn't buy the Triton just for its pianos either. What is truly useful is using piano in layers with up to 7 other sounds in Triton Combi's to create original piano pads, textures, and splits with overall excellent sound quality.

I'm sure the pianos in Triton are an upgrade compared to  pianos in M-1. I've heard those pianos played on YouTube videos. As you mentioned, you probably wouldn't be scouting a Triton for piano sounds. I might still consider the Triton if I can get them to give me a sale price for it. I would not be looking primarily at the piano sounds if I bought it.

"Skippy"  co designer of UNIFY was on the Korg team designing those sounds. The thing you might notice with Korg is they accomplished a lot using basic sounds and superior effects for their time. The sound design was and still is amazing.

If you want a similar and possibly even more pliable way to customize sounds that are very similar buy into UNIFY.

Skippy never lost his touch and still designs his sounds, only now it's mostly in UNIFY.

If Korg ever introduces Oasys in software I'll be chomping at the bit. It was like having Omnisphere on steroids in a keyboard and then some.  The talent really is in the sound design. The hardware is just a way to store play and manipulate those sounds.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:08 PM, ALC said:

Check on your account on korguser.net.

I see the following: https://www.korguser.net/asp/coupon.asp

For Current Users of KORG Legacy Collection:

Announcement of Server Migration Accompanying Partial Termination of Service

We will soon be migrating our server to KORG ID and KORG Shop along with the partial termination of service of KORG USER NET. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to KORG Legacy Collection users. We request that you follow the instructions on the page below to complete the migration procedures. Using the coupon code which will be issued, you will be able to switch from the KORG Legacy Collection series to KORG Collection free of charge.

If you own the KORG Legacy Collection - Special Bundle, please complete the entire product registration at KORG USER NET. Please note that coupon codes for the Special Bundle will not be issued if registration is not completed.

* If not compatible with the operating requirements of KORG Collection for Mac/Win, please use the KORG Legacy Collection series. We will continue to provide services regarding register product and re-issue license code.

[Migration Procedure]

* In order to proceed with the purchase procedure at the KORG Shop, input of coupon code is required. Also, although the price will be displayed, it will become free by entering the coupon code.

Acquire the coupon code from this page.

Visit the dedicated migration product page below. 

Place the desired product in the cart and enter/apply the coupon code.

Following the instructions on the screen, proceed with the registration for KORG ID and purchase procedure.

Please install the product according to the procedure described in the email after purchase completion.

Follow the instructions on the screen when launching for the first time to authenticate the license.

I have been completely befuddled by all things Korg installer related.  This is more befuddlement.  More than I am inclined to absorb.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

If you want a similar and possibly even more pliable way to customize sounds that are very similar buy into UNIFY.

I am a Unify user,  have many of Skippy's libraries for Unify, and am a big fan of Skippy's sound design skills. Try to watch his livestreams every Saturday to pick up a few tricks from his demonstrations. :)

I had a KORG X2 workstation back in the 90's. Still based on the synth engine from the M-1, with a few updates. Sold it and bought a Roland JV-1080 rack after I bought my first PC. No longer needed a synth with a hardware sequencer, just the sounds...

One big selling point for the X-2 that I recall was a larger sample ROM with a 2 MB multi-sampled piano.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

The M1 came with 4 Mb of onboard sounds.  This was piano, strings, bass, guitar, drums, etc.   I don't think it's fair to compare it to the sampled pianos of today, which can reach into the dozens of GB and have many velocity layers, round robins and all that good stuff. 

Despite the limitations, people really liked those sounds back in the day and there were a lot of hit songs written with them.  People chose to use the M1 and DX7 pianos when they had real pianos in the studio.

Put yourself back in my place back in the 80s.  I didn't have a piano--all I had was my hardware synths.  When I could get sampled sounds in my Ensoniq Mirage, I layered them with the musicality of the M1.  Good samplers came out, but I couldn't afford them.

When I play those sounds today from the synths I owned like the M1 and DX7,  it brings back memories.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, Ric said:

Same here. Pianos too.

I guess this comment was what had me on pianos and Reid's subsequent comments on pianos. Since we are talking about the Korg products I thought this was the direction.  I see the M-1 as having strengths in other areas.

I had the original M-1 and I remember composing Handel's Messiah in that little sequencer. I took the M-1 to a gig and there was another keys player there who commented on how lacking the pianos in it were. He sorta took the wind out of my sails then because I was really hyped about owning the coolest keyboard anywhere! At the time it was. I really had no way to directly compare it to a real piano so I made it work and frankly, in a mix it could work.

Back in the day those extra cards were like 75$ a pop and the software M-1 has them all included. At one time I drooled over those.The DX 7 was probably the most popular keyboard before the M-1 came out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Last Call said:

Heavy o City free piano is .... awesome. 😇
If you don't have it... well, what are you waiting for?

Thanks for this. I'll post a link in a new thread so as not to interfere with the Korg thread.👍 With my luck It's probably already been posted. Worth posting again.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 1:12 PM, abacab said:

@Reid RosefeltThat's just the way KORG Software Pass works. It's a license manager and downloader, but not an installer.

You need to run the downloaded installers yourself. On my computer it drops the installers into a folder named "KORG Software Pass".

I've been  busy, so I finally tried this today.  I found the "Korg software pass folder".  It only had the installer for "Korg Software Pass"   I already had installed that.  When I put in the code from the email it registered the collection.

The downloaders in the email were ONLY for installing Korg Software Pass.  Not for synths.

So I looked in my Korg Program files directory.  I found my Wavestation demo exe. file and other demo files I downloaded previously somehow.  I loaded it and it was a demo.  When I clicked register it brought up the Korg Software Pass.  When I put the registration number in, it said the code had already been used.

At this point it took away my registration for the entire Korg Collection.    Not that that had done me any good as far as getting access to synths.

So unless I can find somebody here or at VI:Control to help me, I'm just figuring I'm out $160.  Maybe I'll try social media.  But just from the amount of stress this is causing at a very busy time, I regret buying this.  I didn't need it that much. 

Any ideas?  I'm going out and will check in later.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I've been  busy, so I finally tried this today.  I found the "Korg software pass folder".  It only had the installer for "Korg Software Pass"   I already had installed that.  When I put in the code from the email it registered the collection.

The downloaders in the email were ONLY for installing Korg Software Pass.  Not for synths.

@Reid RosefeltAfter you launch Korg Software Pass and have registered your products, they will be listed as shown below.

Clicking on any available "Download" or "Update" button will cause that instrument installer to be downloaded to your "Korg software pass folder" (NOT Program Files).

That folder may or may not pop open following a download, based on your browser preferences. But in either case, that is where your instrument installers will reside until you move or delete them.

KORG Software Pass.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, simon said:

^^^exactly

Graphite is conductive and who wants flakes or chunks of loose conductive material floating around in zero gravity shorting out switches etc. ?

Well at least my premise was solid. I was attempting to show how simplicity could have made the Korg process so much easier and comparing it to that old story which I rather like even though it probably isn't true.

One thing we can be pretty sure of here- Korg could stand to do a little streamlining of their process IMHO.

• Like 1