Where does Cakewalk store user FX plug-in presets?

Starship Krupa

Question

6 answers to this question

Depends on which preset manager is used to save the preset.

The Cakewalk preset manager stores its data in the registry under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\ActiveMovie\Presets\

using the plug-in CLSID as the key.

As noted above preset managers integrated into plug-ins most often store presets somewhere on disk.

• Thanks 1

It varies from vendor to vendor. Some store factory presets separately from user presets. Many use proprietary formats, others use text or XML.

Some location examples, taken from notes I made the last time I went on a similar hunt:

ValhallaRoom

C:\Users\{user_name}\AppData\Roaming\Valhalla DSP, LLC\ValhallaRoom\User Presets
Factory presets:
C:\Users\All Users\All Users\Valhalla DSP, LLC\ValhallaRoom\Factory Presets

Native Instruments
\users\{user_name}\documents\Native Instruments\{Product_Name}\presets

U-He Zebra

\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\zebra2.data\presets\zebra2
-or-
\vstplugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\presets\Zebra2

File formats and file extensions vary, too. FabFilter's have a .ffp suffix and are binary files, while Ozone presets are editable XML. Kontakt presets tend to be .nka files, but many vendors prefer snapshot files. U-He uses a proprietary text file format with .h2p extensions. Voxengo uses .cbf (compressed bank file), and lets the user specify where user-defined presets are stored.

Omnisphere's are the weirdest, with separate (binary) formats for fx, filters, arpeggiators, oscillators, LFOs and envelopes. Multis and patches are stored in .db files.

Since the majority use "presets" in the folder name, you could find most of them by issuing this DOS command from the root:

DIR *presets /s /ad

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scook said:

The Cakewalk preset manager stores its data in the registry

Thank you. This is what I meant by where does Cakewalk store user presets. I gave it a 99% chance that you'd be the one with the 411.

I wouldn't have checked "ActiveMovie." 😄

I'll guess that if I want to transfer these presets to my second and third systems, I can export the keys from the main one and import them to the others?

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Thank you. This is what I meant by where does Cakewalk store user presets. I gave it a 99% chance that you'd be the one with the 411.

I wouldn't have checked "ActiveMovie." 😄

I'll guess that if I want to transfer these presets to my second and third systems, I can export the keys from the main one and import them to the others?

Ex/Im functions are in the Plug-in Manager

• Thanks 1