IK Syntronik 2 Group Buy!

cclarry

I'm increasingly tempted - I have Syntronik 1 which I picked up through TS Max 2 and Syntronik 2 CS. What are the benefits of getting the Group Buy - other than the extra synths over Syntronik 1 - I'm concerned about all the extra disk space required! Wil I be able to uninstall the Syntronik 1 synths once I have all the Syntronik 2 ones? I'm a hobbyist who only has a small amount of time to spend making music so want to know that my money is well spent 🙂

9 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I'm increasingly tempted - I have Syntronik 1 which I picked up through TS Max 2 and Syntronik 2 CS. What are the benefits of getting the Group Buy - other than the extra synths over Syntronik 1 - I'm concerned about all the extra disk space required! Wil I be able to uninstall the Syntronik 1 synths once I have all the Syntronik 2 ones? I'm a hobbyist who only has a small amount of time to spend making music so want to know that my money is well spent 🙂

Pretty essential to me too. I’m only interested in Syntronik 2 if I can delete the original Syntronik and Deluxe. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

There are only 11 purely Syntronik 2 synths. The Syntronik 1 synths in S2 use the original samples plus additional S2 stuff like wave sets. So if you want to continue using upgraded S1 synths like Blau, or DCO-X, you will need to keep the S1 sounds around. You could uninstall the S1 engine, but that probably would not save a significant amount of disk space compared to the amount of space used by the samples. For reference, S2 has added about 133GB of data to my system. I still have two more synths to pick up in the GB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Pretty essential to me too. I’m only interested in Syntronik 2 if I can delete the original Syntronik and Deluxe. 

Don't see why you couldn't delete the Syn 1. That's exactly what I plan to do!

The only thing that might be an issue is if you are still using SampleTank 3. The Syn1 instruments are ST3 based, and it won't play with Syn2.

I have added a unique content path for Syntronik 2 and all new Syn2  installs are going in there. So when I say bye bye to Syn1, I'm not expecting any dependencies. I do plan to backup any presets and multis I created in Syn1 so that I can copy them over to Syn2.

• Like 1

Are you sure about the need to keep around the old 1s, if we have the same synth in 2 configuration? I thought Peter said that installation of the 2 version did not actually modify the 1 version installation, but instead provided an entirely new download , which included 1and 2 instrument presets. Peter?

1 minute ago, TicoJPunk said:

My Mac's internal SSD is only 250GB, but I use a 1TB Samsung USB-C audio drive with plenty of free space so I put all my sample libraries on that external drive.

I have a 2TB external Samsung SSD but it is already more than half full. I am also thinking about system back up space - though I am thinking of adding another removable drive to the 4Tb one I have already

• Like 1

Thanks - so I do not have to reinstall the ones I already have - the Syntronik 2 samples are the same as Syntronik 1? - so basically what I would be getting would just be the new synths that are not in Syntronik 1? Plus the multis if it goes all the way

18 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

There are only 11 purely Syntronik 2 synths. The Syntronik 1 synths in S2 use the original samples plus additional S2 stuff like wave sets. So if you want to continue using upgraded S1 synths like Blau, or DCO-X, you will need to keep the S1 sounds around. You could uninstall the S1 engine, but that probably would not save a significant amount of disk space compared to the amount of space used by the samples. For reference, S2 has added about 133GB of data to my system. I still have two more synths to pick up in the GB. 

Well since I am using a completely new Syntronik 2 content folder for all things Syn2, I am performing a "reinstall" for any of the "new" 22 Syn1/Syn2 upgraded instruments that I install. While that duplicates (temporarily) what I already have in my 22 original Syn1 synth content path (which I plan to delete), it eliminates all dependencies. So, in the end I will be able to uninstall/delete all of my original Syn1 installation. :)

I have spent my entire working life as an IT guy, so this sort of stuff comes naturally ...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, abacab said:

Well since I am using a completely new Syntronik 2 content folder for all things Syn2, I am performing a "reinstall" for any of the "new" 22 Syn1/Syn2 upgraded instruments that I install. While that duplicates (temporarily) what I already have in my 22 original Syn1 synth content path (which I plan to delete), it eliminates all dependencies. So, in the end I will be able to uninstall/delete all of my original Syn1 installation. :)

I have spent my entire working life as an IT guy, so this sort of stuff comes naturally ...

If you could give us some instruction on this dusting and cleaning, I would be grateful. 🙂

• Great Idea 1

47 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

If you could give us some instruction on this dusting and cleaning, I would be grateful. 🙂

Here's a breakdown of the essentials...

• Install Syntronik 2 CS (or whatever), and only use the Syntronik 2 content path for it.
  • As you install new synths, using IKPM, force them to only install in the new Syntronik 2 path. For the original 22 synths, you must use the "reinstall" option in IKPM for each individual synth, so that it does a full install to the new path.
  • If you have already added the content path for Syntronik 1 to Syntronik 2 settings, remove it. Once you do remove it, your Syn1 synths will "break" in Syn2 until you perform a "reinstall" for each one into the new content path. That will install all of the original content, plus the new presets and wave sets for Syn2 in the new location.
  • If you do this, there shouldn't be any legacy dependencies relating to your original Syntronik 1 install from the Syntronik 2 perspective. At this point you should be clear to uninstall version 1.

On the flip side, you could always leave Syntronik 1 as is, and live with the dependencies...

Also, if you want to conserve disk space, only install the synths that you plan to use, or are your favorites. My plans are to trim the list down to 20 or so...

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ALC said:

I finally jumped in for $35 after Jam Points. I have Syntronik Deluxe.  Let’s go all the way!

Way to go! 👍

You just brought the GB down to 16 more for 30 free synths! We only need 216 to go all the waaaaaayyyy!!! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I totally get the disk space concern as well, but the way I look at it, is even if I just installed the new Syn2 synths now, or even just the best of them, I will still own all the others anyway from the group buy and can install them later, whenever suits.

Hard drive capacities always increase, so in a few years or so, that extra space probably doesn't matter as much.

• Like 1