Best value headphone suggestions please

hockeyjx

For recording into a mic sound isolation is important in a headphone. Look for ones that are closed back, maybe that have rotating earpieces. I have some AudioTechnica AT45s. Many others would work and would be well within your budget. If you want to use them for mixing then that is a different set of parameters.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If its just for tracking, you need closed back headphones, nothing too fancy - the main thing is keeping the sound from leaking.  

Sennheiser HD25s are pretty much standard for this in many studios.  I have a few pairs.

But You don't have to spend 100 bucks, you could use something cheaper.

Spend the money when you're buying headphones for mixing.  These will be open back, and will have a clear natural sound.

Take a look at the Sennehiser HD650s.  They're lovely!

Edited by Misto

Audio Technica M40X best (most flat) I found so far, well in your budget (forget the M50x)

I couldn't hear enough bass on Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, same for the Shure ones in that pricerange.

AKG 412 and 712, no bass at all and a massive midrange hype, useless and overpriced.

The Beyerdynamic have quite a spike at 10K, for me probably again not enough bass.

Edited by Sheens

Just to add my bit and having spent soo much dosh on open back and closed .. For me Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm Over-Ear Studio Headphones are the most comfortable .. but make my ears hot when mixing down or doing several takes over a day of work ... I have a set of AudioTechnica AT45s which I like but it's all down to preference ..it really is the hardest thing/tool to buy .. honestly go into your shop of choice and don't get bullied into the expensive stuff and try different cans out with the input here as a guide ... I have 12 sets of cans and they're all good but have drawbacks of one thing or another ... my DT770's failed on the left capsule twice and they are expensive ! ....just saying is all  

Happy shopping

SupaReels

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:02 PM, Sheens said:

thanks everyone for taking time to write your thoughts / experience, even though the OP can't did not reply

He's too busy recording vocals while wearing his Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO or his Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm Over-Ear Studio Headphones.   LOL 😉

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 3:21 PM, Sheens said:

Audio Technica M40X best (most flat) I found so far, well in your budget (forget the M50x)

I had the opposite experience. Based on reviews and specs that indicated the M40's had a flatter response than the M50's, I bought a pair of them.

Then a friend came over with a pair of M50's. I put on one of my favorite downtempo tracks and compared them, and when I was using the M50's, I heard a faint running water sample that the producer had used. It was inaudible on the M40's. So I went for a pair of M50's and have been reasonably happy with them, although I'm open to the idea that other cans might please me more.

What's important to me is soundstage and detail. Do I hear a wide stereo image or does it sound confined to the width of the drivers? Can I hear the little details that the producers of my favorite tracks used? Radiohead's "Everything In Its Right Place" is my favorite test track because 1. It has lots of little ear candy FX, like slight reverse reverb on the vocal and hard panning and a bunch of other stuff, and 2. I love the song and can listen to it over and over.

My advice for headphone shoppers is to try to find a way to listen to the cans you're considering using a well-produced track that you're familiar with. If you hear things in it that you never heard before, and it sounds like you can "walk around inside" the image, then you've found some winners.

Open back pros- more comfortable wearing them for a long time than closed back. Cons- The design lets in sound from your room. If you mix in an environment that has noise, if you bought headphones in the first place because of the noise, not such a good choice. Won't probably hear as much detail as closed backs.

Closed back headphones pros- These allow hearing the details better than open back IMO. External sound is isolated better. Cons- Not usually as comfortable over long listens. 

Look at the ohm value of the headphones too and buy a pair that match up to the output you''ll be using. 

There is no such thing as a pair of perfectly flat ( frequency wise) headphones. There is only "not flat in any way shape or form", IOW incredibly hyped or cut in critical ranges OR "semi flat with an attempt to be flat".  That last category is what studio mixing headphones attempt to fit into. The only way to improve on the curves of the various headphones is by using electronic correction software. I use Sonarworks Reference 4 headphones version.

In the mixing world the old ATH M50 headphones have been in some circles like baseball, hot dogs and apple pie are here in the US. A very common, often used model. Several here have them. I am on my 2nd pair. The second time I bought the ATH-M50x version  which has the capability to replace the cord if you happen to have a dog who likes to chew things.😗.

My headphones can get uncomfortable over long listening periods so I am more likely to run my monitors at low volume in the evening and only go to the M50s when I need to listen critically to fine detail. If you have big ears, you'll either need to reduce the size of your ears or go to something else since these headphones are not made for big eared people. They work well for 99% of those with average ears. 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, jesse g said:

He's too busy recording vocals while wearing his Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO or his Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm Over-Ear Studio Headphones.   LOL 😉

CORRECT (except for the OHM)!

Edited by hockeyjx

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, Tim Smith said:

My headphones can get uncomfortable over long listening periods so I am more likely to run my monitors at low volume in the evening and only go to the M50s when I need to listen critically to fine detail. If you have big ears, you'll either need to reduce the size of your ears or go to something else since these headphones are not made for big eared people. They work well for 99% of those with average ears. 

I got a set of memory foam/velour earpads for mine and they really improved the comfort. They're still kinda clamp-y, but at least my head isn't being clamped between 2 pieces of vinyl.

• Like 1