hockeyjx

Best value headphone suggestions please

For tracking, and preferably one that is particularly good for laying down vocals. I would say my budget tops out at $200.

What should I be keying on? I assume comfort and range?

Thanks in advance.

For recording into a mic sound isolation is important in a headphone. Look for ones that are closed back, maybe that have rotating earpieces. I have some AudioTechnica AT45s. Many others would work and would be well within your budget. If you want to use them for mixing then that is a different set of parameters.

• Like 1

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm Over-Ear Studio Headphones or The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm Over-Ear Studio Headphones are just as great.   One is open back for mixing and one is closed back for tracking.   

I buy mine from here ~~~> HHGregg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If its just for tracking, you need closed back headphones, nothing too fancy - the main thing is keeping the sound from leaking.  

Sennheiser HD25s are pretty much standard for this in many studios.  I have a few pairs.

But You don't have to spend 100 bucks, you could use something cheaper.

Spend the money when you're buying headphones for mixing.  These will be open back, and will have a clear natural sound.

Take a look at the Sennehiser HD650s.  They're lovely!

Edited by Misto

Posted (edited)

Audio Technica M40X best (most flat) I found so far, well in your budget (forget the M50x)

I couldn't hear enough bass on Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, same for the Shure ones in that pricerange.

AKG 412 and 712, no bass at all and a massive midrange hype, useless and overpriced.

The Beyerdynamic have quite a spike at 10K, for me probably again not enough bass.

Edited by Sheens

Just to add my bit and having spent soo much dosh on open back and closed .. For me Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm Over-Ear Studio Headphones are the most comfortable .. but make my ears hot when mixing down or doing several takes over a day of work ... I have a set of AudioTechnica AT45s which I like but it's all down to preference ..it really is the hardest thing/tool to buy .. honestly go into your shop of choice and don't get bullied into the expensive stuff and try different cans out with the input here as a guide ... I have 12 sets of cans and they're all good but have drawbacks of one thing or another ... my DT770's failed on the left capsule twice and they are expensive ! ....just saying is all  

Happy shopping

SupaReels