Enabling & Desabling tracks? (resp: Archive)

jackCA2A

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to disable a track save to cpu(and optionally ram as well)  but without deleting the track. I know Reaper, Cubase and S1 does this but i don't know if Cakewalk can? It's pretty much a must now for people working with large temples etc.  I'm sure some would even say it's a game changer as far as workflow.  I know Reaper can unload cpu by muting a track as shown below. Is there an option for that in Cakewalk?  Let me know. Thanks

It basically disables the track, so you get all CPU & RAM back. This works for any type of track. None of the plugins or instruments will be loaded on that track.

If you want the track to be still playable, consider freezing instead (the button next to it).

Freezing will "bounce" the track to audio, and you can choose to freeze with or without effects (without by disabling the FX bin before the freeze). If you freeze with the effects, then again your CPU & RAM will be freed up.

38 minutes ago, jackCA2A said:

Thanks Mark. No, freezing is not what I'm after here.  Disabling a track is what i want.  BTW, is there anything Cakewalk can't do? ...Can't believe it's free.  

I'm still waiting for it to make me my tea in the morning.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

I'm still waiting for it to make me my tea in the morning.

You need a different kind of application for that. They call that a girlfriend or a wife i think?

P.S. Hopefully, people understand this was meant as a joke and should not be taken literally. I understand it could be interpreted the wrong way so it's a little edgy  but it was meant in good fun.

Edited by jackCA2A
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, Larry Jones said:

Two years ago it was 500 bucks. It was not developed as a "free" product.

Yea i know. 30 years of commercial development i think? Amazing we can get that for free. What tricks me is how many cool features i saw in other daws(like Studio One) were already in Sonar. Aside from a couple of missing features, Studio One was the most attractive DAW on the market for me and now i don't see the point of buying it. Maybe for the chord track but that's it. In the mean time, i finally found something Cakewalk can't do. At least not completely or not the way i would like. But I'll start a thread about that and see if there's a work around. Might not be a show stopper anyway. 

• jackCA2A changed the title to Enabling & Desabling tracks? (resp: Archive)

I've been playing with the archive function and it turns out that archive only saves cpu(unless there's a  setting I'm unaware of). If you want to also unload the ram from samplers like kontakt, you need to disconnect the instrument in the synth rack. So this is kind of the best of both world for me since you get a choice. Something you don't have in Cubase i believe. But be aware that you need to  either undock the synth rack or dock it in the multi-dock to see the disconnect function cause it will not appear in the side pan.  Note that, while disconnected, kontakt still uses a minimum of ram since kontakt itself is still there but it's a pretty small amount. Also, for the same reason i would think, i was unable to unload the ram for vst(fx).  Not really an issue at all for me.

30 minutes ago, jackCA2A said:

But be aware that you need to  either undock the synth rack or dock it in the multi-dock to see the disconnect function

When docked on the sides, use "synth connect/disconnect" option in the Synth Rack synth settings menu (D in the image below) to affect the the item in the rack that has focus.

Browser.11.1.png

5 hours ago, scook said:

When docked on the sides, use "synth connect/disconnect" option in the Synth Rack synth settings menu (D in the image below) to affect the the item in the rack that has focus.

Browser.11.1.png

Ok i see it now. And that makes more sense. Thanks Scook.

I have never known nor cared about archiving tracks or what it was. Having learned to be at odds with freezing, I ignored it. Up until now.

I just read in the SONAR x3 docs (I googled it) that having a lot of muted tracks can place a severe load on your computer. Aah!! - It didn't say why so much, but it said if you have a bunch of muted tracks you don't want to hear but (are too paranoid) to delete, you should archive them. Boy, I do in a project that keeps getting bigger a crankier.

I'll do it!

Edited by bitman