Softube Installation Helper Service

Starship Krupa

I didn't notice that I had this little bugger running all the time until I was tweaking my GPU and the tweaking software offered to kill some services that it deemed unnecessary.

Well whaddaya know? Who did it find running in the background a few reboots after the last time I ran Softube's installer shell?

This kind of thing coming from software companies has ever annoyed me no end. If it's an "installation helper," then why in the hell does it want to be running all the time rather than during an installation? I have exactly 3 Softube FX, only one of which I ever actually use. Unlike everyone else on the market (with the exception of Waves, who have a service that serves up part of the UI's), they need an extra, always running service to unpack and copy a DLL to a specific location? And they think nobody is going to notice this or care on their highly optimized DAW computers?

When I see stuff like this, and I'll include installers that still put a shortcut on the desktop whether you ask for one or not, I immediately think that the company in question has a hubris problem. "Our software is sooooo important that we can have a sentry service standing by at all times waiting for the user to run our installer (which, unlike everyone else's installers, apparently needs to have a service running to work properly)!"

Also, thanks to Apple, whenever I see something that calls itself a "Helper" service it especially makes me want to punch it. "I don't NEED your help! I don't plug any Apple Mobile Devices into this computer! I check for Softube updates maybe once a year! Go away!"

• Like 2