Add "Close" to Docking Options

Starship Krupa

As it stands, if I open a pane for the first time it will open docked, which is as it should be.

However, to make it go away entirely, I have to undock it and click on the "X" to banish it completely. I'm pressed for real estate on my 14" laptop, so I do a lot of view/pane management. It's mostly an issue with Synth Rack, which I don't open very often and don't need to have open or available all the time.

My feature request is to add a "close" entry to the Docking Options button, which will close the pane entirely (whether it's docked or undocked). As follows:

image.png.46072c0e9bebbcc601833ad964cc2682.png

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 6

9 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Yep, I often invoke the Help panel by accident and it's annoying having to undock it just to close it

What I would really prefer is if the shorcut keys were 2-way, that is hitting "B" once opens the Browser, hitting it again makes it go away entirely, that sort of thing. But I don't think that would be a popular suggestion.

55 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Yep, I often invoke the Help panel by accident and it's annoying having to undock it just to close it.

Why not just customize you favorite workspaces to exclude the Help Module View?  

image.png.6f2f6c859139d130fa5575168fc27844.png

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Why not just customize you favorite workspaces to exclude the Help Module View?  

image.png.6f2f6c859139d130fa5575168fc27844.png

That's a great suggestion, but I do often help a few people with CbB so I'd rather have all of the options available so I can refer them to the correct place. But yes, otherwise, good advice! :)

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 6:18 PM, Starship Krupa said:

What I would really prefer is if the shorcut keys were 2-way, that is hitting "B" once opens the Browser, hitting it again makes it go away entirely, that sort of thing. But I don't think that would be a popular suggestion.

Hitting B toggles the show/hide Browser. So not sure why that isn’t working for you. 
And definitely workspaces are how you easily manage screen layouts. 
That’s what they are for, saving your workspace. 
There might be a way to create keyboard shortcuts for each workspace I’m out of town right now so can’t test.   
And anything put in the multi dock is just a tab so takes up zero screen space when minimized. I find it is a very well designed system for only one screen. 
Using D to minimize the multi dock  

Using I, B and C to hide inspector, Browser and Control bar gives me full screen track view. 

Double clicking a multi dock tab to open that view full screen. Hitting D to hid it again. 
And all of these options can be also saved as a Workspace. 

The day I sat down and carefully mapped out how the skylight interface works was the day my workflow took a quantum leap 

This thread bump let me give this a bit more thought for my "accidentally bump Y and open the Help module" annoyance - why not just remap Y to something else? I'm usually in the Smart Tool so I just bound it to selecting that, so it essentially does nothing. Good job, me! :)

(Mind you, I still think there should be a Close item in the docking menu)

• Great Idea 2

On 4/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, John Vere said:

Hitting B toggles the show/hide Browser. So not sure why that isn’t working for you.

It functions, but only gets me half of what I want. The toggle keys open the pane, but then once they're open, if you hit them again all they do is collapse them. True, I don't usually completely banish either of those panes, but I do banish Synth Rack and Help.

It's about screen real estate. When I'm on my 14" screen'd laptop, every pixel counts. Yes, I could use screensets, but those take extra time to apply and they pop the view back to whatever it was when the screenset was saved.

I just want a one-click way to make any of them vanish completely. Adding Close to the Docking Options menu seems like the simplest, although a keystrokable command would also be handy.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Starship Krupa said:

As it stands, if I open a pane for the first time it will open docked, which is as it should be.

However, to make it go away entirely, I have to undock it and click on the "X" to banish it completely. I'm pressed for real estate on my 14" laptop, so I do a lot of view/pane management. It's mostly an issue with Synth Rack, which I don't open very often and don't need to have open or available all the time.

My feature request is to add a "close" entry to the Docking Options button, which will close the pane entirely (whether it's docked or undocked). As follows:

+1 for this. 

Workaround for now: Open a new project - undock all the windows you don't want attached in your workflow and workspace. 

Go up to the FILE tab > Save As. In those two drop down menus on the new popup window locate "Templates" and save as default template or overide one existing one by replacing it. I've created one years back and named it "New Empty" and made it my default template. Everytime I open CbB it open on this one. 

Export it to USB pen drive or your External hard drive for a next time you redo your system or upgrade. 

I used it this way on a 19inch Monitor screen. I still do on a main system with a 24inch screen. There are certain things you grow into and floating windows was one for me. You just need to learn your shortcuts for the windows you constantly use. The letter "i" open the inspector. Letter B the browser. Alt 9 the Synth rack if i'm not mistaken. 

3 hours ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

If it's floating it will dissapear from view entirely

Indeed it will. If I ever ran the program with those panels floated, I would like that: one key to open, one key to banish.

But I don't, I run with the panels docked.

The only time I ever float them is when I want to banish them.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Starship Krupa said:

You've really made me look deep into this, by just starring at my screen for a minute. 

This is a lot of windows within other windows. 🙆🏽‍♂️ Never noticed it that way and now it is bothering me. It kind of looks unattractive. 

What would be nice (but probably will cost a redesign of the interface) would just be to hide the docks under the window borders.

Example: The two flyout arrows of the browser panel, can be built-in next to the ripple edit on/off tab - there's space for it. So it can just be moved underneath the scrolling border window? Same goes for the Multidock and the Inspector view, but its probably a whole redesign of the Track view as i've mentioned above. 13 years in and all of a sudden it looks bulky to me now.  🤣

Edited by Will.