Start to play song - Big pop then silence

Max Arwood

I have a song I have been working on.  I saved it a few days ago, at that time it was playing ok. When I opened it back up to play it today, all I get is a pop. I have had this happen a few times before on different songs. I think it might be plugin related. Anyone had this happen before? I would be grateful for any help.

That sounds like a plugin acting up. I'd start by opening in Safe Mode and eliminating half of your plugins to see if it plays, then if that plays OK, it's in the other half, so then start by deleting half of those plugins until you can narrow down which one it is. Obviously don't save anything when you do this or it'll overwrite your project with a version with missing plugins.

Sometimes it's just a crappy plugin that's gone weird, other times I've had it happen randomly on otherwise well working plugins shipped with CbB (rarely though), but I usually have solved that by deleting the misbehaving plugin, saving, then inserting it back again once you open it up fresh again.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Thanks 1

This happens to me a lot. Two things can fix it:

1) Changing the ASIO buffer size. Sometimes just toggling it back and forth can resolve the issue.

2) Okay this is actually the same thing. If I am mixing/playback, then I increase the buffer size to something ridiculous (1024 or even higher) and see if the problem goes away. It almost always does.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 10:55 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

This happens to me a lot. Two things can fix it:

1) Changing the ASIO buffer size. Sometimes just toggling it back and forth can resolve the issue.

2) Okay this is actually the same thing. If I am mixing/playback, then I increase the buffer size to something ridiculous (1024 or even higher) and see if the problem goes away. It almost always does.

ASIO moved to 2048 still happening. Yes this is what I do first too. 
Thanks  

• Sad 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:42 AM, Lord Tim said:

That sounds like a plugin acting up. I'd start by opening in Safe Mode and eliminating half of your plugins to see if it plays, then if that plays OK, it's in the other half, so then start by deleting half of those plugins until you can narrow down which one it is. Obviously don't save anything when you do this or it'll overwrite your project with a version with missing plugins.

Sometimes it's just a crappy plugin that's gone weird, other times I've had it happen randomly on otherwise well working plugins shipped with CbB (rarely though), but I usually have solved that by deleting the misbehaving plugin, saving, then inserting it back again once you open it up fresh again.

Yes thanks. I wish there was a plug-in refresh button. It worked the day before. Something got crossed up some where. A refresh would probably make it work. I do have a bunch of plugins and soft synths. Wow I just ran project scope. 161 plug-ins! It is a pop piece with some orchestration. Didn’t check how many soft synths. I sure wish project scope would add synths. 
Thanks