*** SOLVED*** Not a Cakewalk problem - Strange Beep

But I figured you guys might know what's going on.

I've not been if the studio for a few weeks but decided to today

I updated CbB and started listening to my WIP album, when I heard a strange beep

30 seconds or so later I heard it again

I shut everything down, rebooted the pc at which point I was prompted to do a Windows update, which I did

30 minutes later it had finished, so I rebooted, updated CbB, refreshed my activation and tried again

The beep is STILL there, repeating every 30 seconds or so

I've checked all Windows notifications (that's what it sounds like) but nothing

It happens even with CbB shut down and no other apps running, just a Windows desktop

Have a listen to the attached file which I uploaded from my phone

This has got me stumped. I don't know if it will find it's way onto recordings but it's really annoying

Recording_1.wav

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey
Provide Update

You could try running Task Manager off to the side, or on a second monitor if you have one, and potentially catch the culprit in the act if you notice a jump in CPU whenever the beep sounds. Or you might get lucky and spot a process called AnnoyingBeep.exe.

3 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

You could try running Task Manager off to the side, or on a second monitor if you have one, and potentially catch the culprit in the act if you notice a jump in CPU whenever the beep sounds. Or you might get lucky and spot a process called AnnoyingBeep.exe.

Yep, I tried that Dave, but nothing untoward even registers

I should add, it happens whether the pc is online or offline

3 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Just listened to your recording. That's the sound Windows makes when it senses a USB device being plugged in or unplugged, or switching from external power to USB power. Maybe something's only partly plugged in, or a bad USB cable?

That's worth checking Dave! I knew I'd heard it before, at least I now have something to investigate

Thanks

Ah I had that problem once and it was indeed an external hard drive disconnecting & reconnecting without any notification. Moved everything of value off it just in case and replaced with an external SSD. Of course it stopped doing it as soon as soon as I paid for the new drive! 

• Like 1

Yup--sounds like a Windows system notification.  If you had a Windows update recently, maybe the setting that tells Windows not to use any system notifications (audio) got reset to what Microsoft thinks should be the default for everyone?  They do that kind of thing, as I am sure you know.

Edited by User 905133

I don't know what the original "Problem" description was on the  @Bristol_Jonesey primary thread, but now it does not help anyone with the same problem - if they are searching for something similar.

If you changed your subject from whatever it was to what it is now, you should have left it as was but just put "Solved"  in front of the title.  I just opened this up to look due to the "Subject" line.

That is my opinion.  Without a proper subject line this could get buried . . .

Syphus

17 hours ago, Syphus said:

I don't know what the original "Problem" description was on the  @Bristol_Jonesey primary thread, but now it does not help anyone with the same problem - if they are searching for something similar.

If you changed your subject from whatever it was to what it is now, you should have left it as was but just put "Solved"  in front of the title.  I just opened this up to look due to the "Subject" line.

That is my opinion.  Without a proper subject line this could get buried . . .

Syphus

As 57Gregy pointed out, that was/is the original title.

I might edit it to reflect the actual problem

1 minute ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

As 57Gregy pointed out, that was/is the original title.

I might edit it to reflect the actual problem

I did not know if that was the original title,  it just seemed to obscure to help anyone searching for the same problem.   I was not trying to be critical about it.  Thanks for adding the "Beep" bit.

Have a good day and I'm glad that someone could help you with your problem.

Syphus

• Like 1