SI drums issue

Hello,  After installing CbB ,  I can't load SI drums in my old Sonar 32bit daws.   I'm still using  these for project and file sharing .  This has happened on 2 different Win7 pc's.   I get a failure to load and a dll file message.  In my x86 file the only thing present in  Studio Instruments/Si drum  file is the "kits" folder.  I guess something is getting overwritten.  I still have a 32bit Sonar on an old laptop with working SI drums , I also still have the Sonar 8.5 32bit instillation disc.   Should I try copying and transferring files , try reinstalling from disc , or something else all together ??.   Thanks for any help ..        mark

I've just tried SI drums in Platinum, X3 and 8.5PE 32 bit versions (also win7pc ) and it works ok in all, so installing the bandlab version did not affect SI drums in my case.

However, in my experience the VST scanner in the bandlab version does have it's quirks.  When I installed it a few weeks ago my initial scan failed to pick up many VST's that had previously been working fine in Platinum X64. Repeated scans consistently completed without picking them up so they were omitted from my custom vst menus. The only way I found to get around this was to move the .dll's in question to another folder and add that to the vst scan list where by and large they were picked up. Two (I don't remember which now) I could not get it to recognise even doing this, but they were minor things that I never really use anyway, so I gave up on them. I still have a couple where it will only recognise the 32 bit version of the plug in even though the 64 bit dll's are where they always were and worked fine beforehand. If I removed the 32 bit .dll's I get nothing at all as it still doesn't pick up the 64 bit version. Even moving these .dll's to an alternate folder had no effect so I can only use those as 32 bit plug-ins now, which is ok as they work, but pretty ironic for software that champions the 64 bit cause and is 64 bit only now. It took a whole afternoon of fighting the bloody thing to get as far as I did and in the end I just gave up as all the important stuff to me was finally present and correct.

Not an answer to your problem I know, but sometimes knowing that you're not alone helps with the frustration.

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I get a failure to load and a dll file message.

An exact recitation of the error message or better still image of the error dialog (preferably uploaded to an image server and linked into the post) are preferable.

Using default install paths, CbB would have nothing to do with the 32bit SI plug-ins. CbB would not see, overwrite or delete them.

By default the plug-in dlls are not in the same folder as the Kits folder.

On a 64bit OS -

The default path for the kits folder depends on whether 32bit SONAR is installed before 64bit SONAR/CbB. The possible default paths are

• C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Kits
  • C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments (x86)\SI-Drum Kit\Kits

The plug-in picks up the actual install path from the registry

The default path for the 32bit plug-in is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins (x86)\SI-Drum Kit

The default path for the 64bit plug-in is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\SI-Drum Kit

If the problem is a missing 32bit dll, it may be sufficient to copy it from another machine. If that does not address the problem, an advanced install using any version of 32bit SONAR containing Studio Instruments would be the next thing to try.

1 hour ago, paulo said:

When I installed it a few weeks ago my initial scan failed to pick up many VST's that had previously been working fine in Platinum X64. Repeated scans consistently completed without picking them up so they were omitted from my custom vst menus. The only way I found to get around this was to move the .dll's in question to another folder and add that to the vst scan list where by and large they were picked up. Two (I don't remember which now) I could not get it to recognise even doing this, but they were minor things that I never really use anyway, so I gave up on them. I still have a couple where it will only recognise the 32 bit version of the plug in even though the 64 bit dll's are where they always were and worked fine beforehand. If I removed the 32 bit .dll's I get nothing at all as it still doesn't pick up the 64 bit version. Even moving these .dll's to an alternate folder had no effect so I can only use those as 32 bit plug-ins now, which is ok as they work, but pretty ironic for software that champions the 64 bit cause and is 64 bit only now. It took a whole afternoon of fighting the bloody thing to get as far as I did and in the end I just gave up as all the important stuff to me was finally present and correct.

When having scanning problems, generating a scan log may help. Also running with "Scan in Sandbox" enabled (the default) should help too. It is a good idea to avoid scanning 32bit plug-ins where a 64bit version is available. It is unnecessary work for the scanner and sometimes the 32bit plug-ins don't work well in the DAW (which means they could be a problem for the scanner too, although the sandbox may help get past them when scanning).

4 hours ago, scook said:

When having scanning problems, generating a scan log may help. Also running with "Scan in Sandbox" enabled (the default) should help too. It is a good idea to avoid scanning 32bit plug-ins where a 64bit version is available. It is unnecessary work for the scanner and sometimes the 32bit plug-ins don't work well in the DAW (which means they could be a problem for the scanner too, although the sandbox may help get past them when scanning).

Thanks for the info. I'm not near my DAW pc now, but I'll check that next time although I haven't changed any of the default settings. I have some 32 bit plug ins that I still use and they work fine as they did in Platinum so that's not an issue per se. In the case where the scan only recognises the 32 bit version when the 64 is available, removing the 32 bit version from the scan path only resulted in me not having any version at all. If I open Platinum 64 the 64 plug in is the one that loads as it always did. Anyway, don't want to hijack the OP's thread so I'll look at the defaults and scan log next time and see what happens.

Edited by paulo

On 6/12/2019 at 10:55 PM, mark skinner said:

Thanks to everyone for the quick response..    I think I'm going to try a custom install from disk first.  To Paulo , feel free to hijack any of my posts .  I learn a lot  from reading anything related to my current problem(s)         mark

FWIW using Cakewalk with " run as administrator" option and then running VST scan solved my issue where the scan was only picking up the 32 version dll's and not the 64. I had RAA enabled by default in Platinum but I hadn't done so when I installed the bandlab version, because I remember reading somewhere here or on the old forum that this was not recommended, but it looks like this was the problem for some reason. I have no idea as to the how or why or even if that should make any difference whatsoever to a VST scan, just saying that it worked when I did it.