Remap Mouse Scroll Wheel - From Vertical to Horizontal Scrolling

Rick Prescott

Since I generally record voiceovers, I rarely have enough tracks to require vertical scrolling. But with long audio takes, I need horizontal scrolling almost constantly. It would be much appreciated if I could remap the mouse wheel to accomplish this, perhaps under Preferences > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts, or thereabouts. Thanks.

Edited by Rick Prescott

Yikes. I'm an idiot. It's not horizontal SCROLLING I'm looking for, but horizontal ZOOMING. In other words, remap from VERTICAL SCROLLING to HORIZONTAL ZOOMING. The latter is what currently can be done with Alt+Scroll Wheel. It is also the function that I need more or less every time I reach for the mouse... 

I'm quite aware that this remap is not currently possible. (I already have a side-scrolling mouse, remapped for other functions.)

Edited by Rick Prescott

I have a Logitech Marathon Mouse M705, which has 4 buttons plus wheel. Pushing the wheel left and right scrolls horizontally.

I have the 2 extra buttons on the left side programmed for Ctrl and Alt, which makes for some mighty fine single-handed mouse-only operation.

Any reputable 4-button mouse should be able to get you there, using app-specific button assignments.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, Rick Prescott said:

Yikes. I'm an idiot. It's not horizontal SCROLLING I'm looking for, but horizontal ZOOMING. In other words, remap from VERTICAL SCROLLING to HORIZONTAL ZOOMING. The latter is what currently can be done with Alt+Scroll Wheel. It is also the function that I need more or less every time I reach for the mouse... 

I'm quite aware that this remap is not currently possible. (I already have a side-scrolling mouse, remapped for other functions.)

I mentioned learning autohotkey in your other thread on this subject

Here is the complete script to add to the default autohotkey script found in your documents directory after adding the program.

SetTitleMatchMode RegEx ; used for the i) switch in the WinActive test
;remap Wheel to ALT+Wheel for horizontal zooming in CbB
#If WinActive("ahk_exe i)Cakewalk.exe")
WheelDown::!WheelDown
WheelUp::!WheelUp
#If

• Like 1