Cleaning VST's

I want to ditch most of my 32 bit plugins. Especially those that were installed alongside a 64 bit, and there is a redundancy. (I can not tell the difference in the VST-list, as there are two identical instances)
But how do I do this? Just delete the DLL's? How do I recognise the correct ones to delete?
I really whish there were an interface for this kind of.. uhm maintenance..

Edited by Moxica

The way I would do it would be:

From the plugin browser, right click on the "Plugins" tab and select "Manage Layouts"

• Go through the plugin tree, looking for the ones in green - these are the 32 bit ones.
  • Right Click->Properties on each one. The full filename will be shown.
  • Copy this path to Notepad
  • Once you've gone through all of them, go through your list in Notepad and rename them from  myplugin.dll  to myplugin.dll.bak
  • Then re-scan your plugins

Alternatively, you can use RegEdit:

• Windows Key + R, type regedit and press enter
  • Navigate to  "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory"
  • This lists the path of each VST / VSTi
  • Look at a the isX64 key for each entry. If it's set to 0x00000000 (0) then it's a 32 bit plugin
  • If you just want to exclude it, set the isVst value to 0
  • If you want to delete it permanently, copy the path (FullPath key), paste in to Notepad and once you've gone through all of them, go through your list in Notepad and rename them from  myplugin.dll  to myplugin.dll.bak
  • Re-scan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To create a list of 32bit plug-ins using the The VST Inventory Tool mentioned above

• set the filter drop down to x32
  • entry a Y in the entry field next to the filter drop down
  • click Submit

DaCtJ5h.png

With the list as a guide, either

• use the Plug-in Manager to exclude the plug-ins
    • locate the plug-in in the Plug-in Manager. The VST Inventory can help with the category in the Plug-in Manager as there are columns identifying which plug-ins are VST2/3 (Y in the VST3 means a plug-in is a VST3) and FX/Synth (Y in the synth column means the plug-in is a synth).
    • verify the path by comparing the Filename shown at the bottom of the Plug-in Manager to the Full Path in the VST Inventory Tool
    • click the Exclude Plug-in button to hide the plug-in from CbB plug-in list
  • rename the file names as mentioned above. Make sure to run a scan after renaming files.

It is possible to delete the files but it is better to leave them installed just in case there are projects that depend on them. The binaries do not take up much disk space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cakewalk mixed 32bit plug-ins in the 64bit path if the 32bit version of the DAW was not installed first. A few manufacturers do not provide separate 32 and 64 bit install paths. The list in the VST Inventory Tool above are a combination of those two issues.

12 minutes ago, razor7music said:

Just curious, why are you getting rid of all of your 32 bit plug ins? Is it because you also have 64 bit versions of the same ones?

As it turned out,  getting rid of redundant VST2's where I allso have the VST3 was what I really needed. Less clutter.
Besides, the 32 synths tend to be unstable.
I have such a coverage, that if the effect does not exist in 64 bit, I don't need it.
They are mostly old, and sometimes redundant, as I have both.
Edit: Had both.    :D

Edited by Moxica
Adding more info
  • Like 1

The color of the plug-ins in Cakewalk plug-in layouts is determined by the theme. All 32bit plug-ins have (32-bit) appended to their name in plug-in layouts.

The Inventory Tool reports bitness along with other parameters based on the Inventory registry. The same registry information read by the DAW.

Make sure to verify the paths as reported in the Plug-in Manager and Inventory Tool are the same file.

22 minutes ago, Moxica said:

As it turned out,  getting rid of redundant VST2's where I allso have the VST3 was what I really needed.

I use a combination of excluding, deleting and installing outside the Cakewalk scan path for the redundant VST2 plug-ins.

Sorting the Inventory Tool by name then by vendor will organize the the plug-ins showing alternating VST3 and VST2 where both are preset. To sort by a column, click on the column name.

It may also help to filter by vendor then sort by name. To filter by vendor select Vendor in the drop down and enter all or part of the vendor name (ex. for iZotope, Inc. - izo works for me)

It is also possible to export lists from the tool and load them into a browser or spreadsheet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

The color of the plug-ins in Cakewalk plug-in layouts is determined by the theme. All 32bit plug-ins have (32-bit) appended to their name in plug-in layouts.

The Inventory Tool reports bitness along with other parameters based on the Inventory registry. The same registry information read by the DAW.

Make sure to verify the paths as reported in the Plug-in Manager and Inventory Tool are the same file.

Yes, I did. I got it to where I like it by renaming dll's.
Thanks again. You guys are great!

Edited by Moxica